Can I connect a Hopper 3 to multiple Joeys through my home Ethernet network?

Now I just need to figure out how to order from DISH. When I call in, they get very confused when I say that I need to connects all of the Joey devices to my home Ethernet network. I'm thinking that I need a Hopper 3, 3-Joey 3's, and a 1 Wireless Joey.
Dish will not support or install lan network system.
Dish will only support and/or install rg6 (MoCA) system.

So,
If you don't have/want rg6 infrastructure,
The most you'll get from Dish is from Dish to Hub/node to H3 and the Wireless Joey. The rg6 and wireless part.

You'll probably have to buy the Joey3s and make the lan network system yourself.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
So if I have a wireless Joey that does not work properly due to the distance from the H3 I can replace it with a Joey3 and run a lan cable from the Joey3 to the H3?

Yes, the moron tech that installed my Joey's insisted on running Coax to each one. At that time I didn't know they were Internet capable so I'm not sure he knew.

I say MORON, because my basement is unfinished with engineered floor beams that have knockout holes to run cable through. He was in so much of a hurry, he ran some thought the holes and when he came to the air return sealed ones, he ran it UNDER!! I had to go back, pull back all the cable and rerun it myself. MORON!! I would have taken him an extra 1.5 minutes to get it through the holes!

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Yes, the moron tech that installed my Joey's insisted on running Coax to each one. At that time I didn't know they were Internet capable so I'm not sure he knew.

I say MORON, because my basement is unfinished with engineered floor beams that have knockout holes to run cable through. He was in so much of a hurry, he ran some thought the holes and when he came to the air return sealed ones, he ran it UNDER!! I had to go back, pull back all the cable and rerun it myself. MORON!! I would have taken him an extra 1.5 minutes to get it through the holes!
Let's see, you have air return beams. If I am correct those beams are hollow inside to allow for air to return through them. So, you drill a hole in them and pass a wire through it. Now, we have three issues here. First, this configuration is known as a plenum. Anything that you place inside that plenum that is not air (in this case) can hinder the air flow. While the wire itself is not that big it affects the balance of return air and may cause issues with your HVAC. Second, you drilled holes in that beam and placed wire through it. Did you seal those holes after placing the wire in them? If not you are now drawing air out of your basement as well out of your house. This will affect your total air flow. Third, you have placed your cable in a constant warm and cold blowing situation. Over time there will be erosion on that cable and it will fail.

Your installer was not a moron. He was being a professional who actually used forethought in his actions. There are rules to running wire and he payed attention to them.

• Love
Reactions: HipKat
Remember, while using Ethernet instead of coax works today it may not work in the future. DISH does not write the Moca / Broadband drivers on their receivers and those drivers could be updated at any time and that Ethernet functionality could stop working.

This is why DISH will not install them this way.

Let's see, you have air return beams. If I am correct those beams are hollow inside to allow for air to return through them. So, you drill a hole in them and pass a wire through it. Now, we have three issues here. First, this configuration is known as a plenum. Anything that you place inside that plenum that is not air (in this case) can hinder the air flow. While the wire itself is not that big it affects the balance of return air and may cause issues with your HVAC. Second, you drilled holes in that beam and placed wire through it. Did you seal those holes after placing the wire in them? If not you are now drawing air out of your basement as well out of your house. This will affect your total air flow. Third, you have placed your cable in a constant warm and cold blowing situation. Over time there will be erosion on that cable and it will fail.

Your installer was not a moron. He was being a professional who actually used forethought in his actions. There are rules to running wire and he payed attention to them.

Yes, the holes are/were sealed with expanding foam that I resealed after I removed the foam and put the coax through it. I would have resealed the holes myself if he took the time to run the coax with all the other cables. My point is that considering that there were already multiple cables going through it, with thought out reason, he never even bothered to ask.

So you can pick either lazy or moron.

And, and, and… Running a cable inside a plenum requires a Plenum-Rated cable! If a fire causes the cable to burn, a plenum-rated cable will not produce poisonous fumes that get circulated by your home’s HVAC system. Since plenum-rated cable is usually 2x or 3x the cost of normal cable, chances are that’s not what gets run in normal installations.

So, he wasn’t being lazy, he was following code.

Reactions: Bobby
And, and, and… Running a cable inside a plenum requires a Plenum-Rated cable! If a fire causes the cable to burn, a plenum-rated cable will not produce poisonous fumes that get circulated by your home’s HVAC system. Since plenum-rated cable is usually 2x or 3x the cost of normal cable, chances are that’s not what gets run in normal installations.

So, he wasn’t being lazy, he was following code.
Thank you!

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts