Can I do anything with this setup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
I haven't done much in the FTA area, but I was just given a 4DTV 920 and another customer wanted me to take "that hideous Primestar dish" off their property. Which I gladly did. :D :hungry: My question is this: Is there anything I can do with that combination? Is there anything on the birds a P* dish can pick up that will show up on a 4DTV receiver? I'm in an apartment, so a BUD is out of the question. However, they have a very liberal dish policy, and I've got LOS to a good chunk of the sky.

EDIT: I just realized I may have put this in the wrong section of the FTA forum. If it is, can someone move it?

Last edited:
moved to main forum

The 920 is a Digicipher II receiver and sadly there is only one KU channel and that is Oklahoma PBS (OETA)...most of the DCII stuff is on C-Band...but the Primestar dish is well worth it to get into FTA

Do you know what size the dish is? If its oblong there are a couple sizes...37x27 and 40x30. The dish will work just fine for KU band and you could add a DVB box like a Pansat, Fortec or Coolsat to get free to air. A few of us have Primestar dishes and they work great :)

moved to main forum

The 920 is a Digicipher II receiver and sadly there is only one KU channel and that is Oklahoma PBS (OETA)...most of the DCII stuff is on C-Band...but the Primestar dish is well worth it to get into FTA

Do you know what size the dish is? If its oblong there are a couple sizes...37x27 and 40x30. The dish will work just fine for KU band and you could add a DVB box like a Pansat, Fortec or Coolsat to get free to air. A few of us have Primestar dishes and they work great :)

Thanks. It's the 37x27. The dish was made by Channel Master part number: 3040975. What is a good, inexpensive box to start off with? And what birds can this dish see?

That dish should receive any Ku-Band satellite that you have LOS (Line of Sight) to. Depending on the type of LNB installed, you may need a switch (regular DirecTV 3 x 4 multiswitch) to select polarity (if the LNB has two separate outputs for Horizontal and Vertical).

As for the receiver, I like the Visionsat IV200. It has blind scan, component out, and even a USB-based PVR function :)

check out thelist above. G18 at 123W seems to be one of the popular sats for English programming :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.