can I do TV1 and TV2 with 2 different UHF remotes?

rprice54

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
I currently have a 625 and we use the UHF remote to watch TV2, like most people I guess.

I am thinking about upgrading to a HD reciever. We have a new plasma mounted on the wall above our fireplace. There is no good place for AV components, and we want to keep the wall as clean and simple as possible, so I've run all the wires to the basement below. For HD the plasma will need to be connected to the receiver and then I will use coax for the other regular TV. (right now the plasma is TV2 on coax).

I know I can set up my current receiver to use the UHF remote for TV1, but what about TV2? Can I just buy another remote? does the TV1 remote have the capability to be used as a UHF remote?

I'm also looking at getting and IR extender like Amazon.com: Next Generation Remote Control Extender: Electronics if I need to. But right now, I can get a Samsung DVD player that supposedly will play nice with my TV via the HDMI (Anynet) and so if I can get the satellite to work I may not need an extender.

Yes you can use to different tv2 remotes as long as you set up the receiver to accept (uhf tv1 pro setup) and set both remotes to different addresses. the tv1 remotes are not uhf compatable.

I currently have a 625... Can I just buy another remote?
Of course.

does the TV1 remote have the capability to be used as a UHF remote?
No, it is IR-only.

You can spring for a universal DishPro UHF remote (6.3) as others have suggested. But a cheaper solution is to use another DishPro 6.0 like the one that works with TV2. If you intend to upgrade to a HD receiver, then the universal will be a better investment.

thanks for the replies. I will be getting the 622 receiver. I guess the install guy will have another remote I can buy or just get one off of ebay. the CSR I spoke to today said there was no way to use a UHF remote for TV1, I didn't want to waste time explaining to him I already do that. I just wanted to see if I could use two remotes independently.

I went ahead and bought the next gen extender. I figure it's the price of any decent remote, and I won't have to stick with one brand for my components. plus it just sounds kinda cool.

My transformation to the simple look is complete. The TV hangs on the wall, the Wii is tucked nicely behind it out of sight on a shelf I built, and everything else is downstairs.

Thanks for the input.

KAB- I saw in another thread that you were using the next gen in your 622 remote and controlling an AV unit as well. Will the single IR emitter control both (I'm guessing strategically positioned towards both components) or did you get the multiple IR emitter accessory?

KAB- I saw in another thread that you were using the next gen in your 622 remote and controlling an AV unit as well. Will the single IR emitter control both (I'm guessing strategically positioned towards both components) or did you get the multiple IR emitter accessory?
If you want to control AV receiver and a DVD, you will need the multiple accessory. BTW, the Samsung DVD upscaler (if that's what you were talking about) is not that good. I had one. Now I have a Sony. Much better. I also have a Samsung HDTV (4254 plasma).

If you want to control AV receiver and a DVD, you will need the multiple accessory. BTW, the Samsung DVD upscaler (if that's what you were talking about) is not that good. I had one. Now I have a Sony. Much better. I also have a Samsung HDTV (4254 plasma).
Just thought of a consideration. At least on my AV receiver, the Dish remote will only control power and volume, but NOT input selection. With my configuration, I don't need it. So if you don't go with an Anynet component, you should probably get an additional Next Gen transmitter/battery for your AV remote. When you get your 622, you can test it on your receiver to see.

I thought I read somewhere that a guy had placed his IR emitter about 5 feet away from the components and was able to control all of them.

I can't find it now though. I have a universal learning remote that I can control everything through that I plan on using with the extender.

I thought I read somewhere that a guy had placed his IR emitter about 5 feet away from the components and was able to control all of them.

I can't find it now though. I have a universal learning remote that I can control everything through that I plan on using with the extender.
You have to put a little adhesive "bug" over the IR sensors. And, mine is sitting right next to the receiver.

a little update, my installer came and installed the 622 :)

he didn't think it was possible to use 2 UHF remotes (he seemed VERY green- I'm not sure my dish is getting a strong signal- I'll save that for another post) but he left behind my old 625 remotes "just in case."

So now I have the 6.3 UHF that came with my 622 and my old 6.0 UHF remote from my 625.

Assuming I can get the right keys/switches turned on, will the 6.0 control TV2? I think I've read somwhere that it won't do TV1 but maybe TV2?

Remote extender is stuck in shipping somewhere at buy.com...

not this time, but I've used them in the past without problem. I would use it (Google checkout) more often but it creates a different order number and it is more difficult to check the progress of the order.a

I'm a little surprised that it's taking this long to ship, usually buy.com has been pretty prompt.

my last few orders from amazon, when choosing the free shipping, I've noticed they tend to sit on it for ~5 days even on in-stock, "ships in 24-28 hours" items. I think it's their subtle way of encouraging increased shipping costs. Usually once it ships I get it within a few days anyways....

back to topic... so I'm going to try placing the IR transmitter about 3-4 feet away from my 622 and DVD player resting on top of it. Hopefully I can control both, here's to hoping. Otherwise the triple emitter is ~$15 plus shipping, I may as well buy another kit for a few bucks more.

back to topic... so I'm going to try placing the IR transmitter about 3-4 feet away from my 622 and DVD player resting on top of it. Hopefully I can control both, here's to hoping. Otherwise the triple emitter is ~$15 plus shipping, I may as well buy another kit for a few bucks more.
I can tell you from experience you will only be able to control one device with the 1 channel extender. As I said before, it comes with a little IR transmitter bug that sticks on the component's IR sensor. On occasion, the bug has fallen off resulting in no control. I have unit sitting/touching right next to my receiver. I know you said you read somewhere it will do it, but that's not the way it works.

Last edited:
for whatever it's worth, I was able to get the 6.3 and 6.0 remotes working independently... thanks for the help.

KAB- For whatever it's worth, I was able to get the Next Gen to work with multiple devices. Turns out, the receiver itself generates an IR beam. So I have the receiver 2 feet away from my devices in the basement, and it can control both from one spot. I don't even use the little IR emitter that came with it.

the only catch is that I can't control the 622 AND my DVD player at the same time because apparently the remotes work on different frequencies. The little switch on the bottom of the receiver has to be set to "A" for it to work with the 622, but then the DVD doesn't work, I set it to "B" and the DVD works, but it won't transmit the 622 signal. It's weird. But my HDTV remote can be programed to work the DVD player, and it works with the extender, so I'm all set to go.

Is it possible to have multiple 6.3 remotes control TV1 at the same time. My plan is to have TVs in different rooms connected to my VIP722, one by HDMI and one by Component. I want to have three total 6.3 remotes, 2 that will control TV1 for my HDTVs and 1 that will control TV2 hooked up to the SDTV in the back. Can this be done and how? Thanks.

Yes. Just set the 2nd remote identically to the first. Of course you could have a case of dueling remotes. ;)

I use 2 remotes for TV1 (have one HDTV on HDMI and one on Component). Just set both remotes to TV1 via the snap in tab and make them the same remote channel #. Then you can use another remote with the TV2 snap in tab to control TV2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)