Can I downgrade receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mlyles

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
SC
I'm being charged the $3 monthly whole-home fee for my Genie HR44 even though I'm not using that feature. A csr told me I have to be charged the fee just because I have a Genie. So, I'm thinking if I downgrade back to a HR24, that should get rid of the $3 fee. Will they try to charge me for doing this? Also, what would be the best way? Buying form solid signal or ebay, or going through DirecTV? Thanks.

dont see why not, you will go from 5 tuners to 2 though, just an fyi

If I go through DirecTv, how much will they charge me for the HR24? Solid Signal has them for $199.

In my opinion, I think you need to think about the opportunity cost that $3 is getting you.

Some questions I'd have to establish my point is why did you get the HR44 to begin with? Have you just started with the DirecTV service? Do you have any other receivers associated with this account?

The HR44 (with the exception of 4K) is quite possibly the best HD DVR system on the market today, in terms of receivers from any media content company. It also forces you to move towards the SWiM system of networking topology, allowing you to upgrade significantly more easily in the future.

In reality, depending on why you got an HR44 to begin with, you probably should have also gotten at least one other receiver (not necessarily an HD DVR) as a backup in the case that the Genie goes out. However, if you instead give up your Genie for a lesser receiver, you're giving up a number of strong features that the Genie provides over most other receivers on the market today, DirecTV or otherwise.

Even more importantly, if you make a hardware change now, you'll have to enter into another two-year agreement and essentially be stuck with an inferior receiver to what you already have.

Yes, the $3 per month is $36 per year to have the Genie, and if you don't have another HD DVR on your same coax network, it might seem like some wasted money, but that ought to be weighed against the decision to downgrade.

Just some thoughts.

I see no one mentioned the HR24 carries the exact same fees as the GENIE.

Unless Directv can remove the MRV fee on the grandfathered fee structure.

But under the newer Fee structure (last 2 years) it's $15 and $7 if you have even one Dual tuner HD DVR.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I see no one mentioned the HR24 carries the exact same fees as the GENIE.

Unless Directv can remove the MRV fee on the grandfathered fee structure.

But under the newer Fee structure (last 2 years) it's $15 and $7 if you have even one Dual tuner HD DVR.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
At one point I asked about thev $3 fee as well with my HR44, mainly because I don't use the feature, I don't want my Recordings on all my recvrs.
They said No, it was attached to the Genie service.
I gave it up and just looked as it paying for the advantages of the Genie.

I hope you don't have any clients. If you have extra TV's connected to your system, they are likely clients and will not work if you do not have a Genie (like your HR44).

What's even worse is a downgrade, is still considered an "upgrade"
It still triggers another 24 month commitment and more than likely you will be paying an upfront lease fee, on ever piece of equipment you change out.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)