Can I get 95W and 121W with 30" dish?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

senia

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to get 95W and 121W with one 30 inch dish. I tried to position the lnb with my hand to find the spot but don't seem to be able to get any signal. Are they too far apart to be able to get strong signal for both? I have the central lnb pointed at 95W and also have a 101W lnb next to it. I placed the lnb even further to the side, all over the place but don't see 121W. Do I need to get another dish?

yes you would need another dish but there isnt much to get on 121 unless you are a Dish subscriber.

Of course I have a subscription, but currently i get international channels from 148, and if i get 121, then i can get them there and subscribe to local channels.

So, what is the maximum angle that a 30 inch dish can cover? What if i move the 95W lnb to the right of center (if you stand behind the dish), and point the center arm somewhere around 110, and then put another lnb to the left of the arm to get 121? Currently my center arm is pointed at 95, so if i move it to the right side, perhaps then i can get both?

wont work.

Any time you aim a LNB off centre (off the arm of the dish) the signal is compensated. If you were going to do like 89/95 or 95/101 it wouold work but no way on 121/95

Thats just too far away

still won't work due to the distance between them. The only way he would get a good signal is with a T90 dish (Wave Frontier dish). They will allow someone to get 95 & 121 butat the cost of 200+ bucks its easier (and cheaper) to get a 2nd dish :)

unfortunatelly not. I've seen 8-10 degrees (something like 101/95/91 maybe) but not 26. You'd need a Toroidal dish for something like that :)

Iceberg said:
unfortunatelly not. I've seen 8-10 degrees (something like 101/95/91 maybe) but not 26. You'd need a Toroidal dish for something like that :)

I do 14 degrees total on my second dish (87/97/101) with acceptable results on all LNBs, but that is with the centre LNB (97) off-centre to boost 87 (the centre LNB is flush to the LNB arm so is maybe 2 or 3 degrees off-centre). When I had 97 in the centre and added 87 I got all transponders on 87, but some were weak enough to require some adjustment to the setup. So I guess you could do 20 degrees total, but with mixed results depending on transponder strength. I would think that about 16 degrees total (8 per side) would be the maximum to get acceptable results on all LNBs.

I don't know about not being able to get 20+ degrees outside of a T90. I have a Phase III dish hitting the arc for 82, 91, 101, 110, and 119...thus a 37 degree spread. Strong signal on all transponders. Albeit 101 is unusable for me because I don't have a DTV sub, you can span over 20 degrees outside of a T90.

bidaw said:
I don't know about not being able to get 20+ degrees outside of a T90. I have a Phase III dish hitting the arc for 82, 91, 101, 110, and 119...thus a 37 degree spread. Strong signal on all transponders. Albeit 101 is unusable for me because I don't have a DTV sub, you can span over 20 degrees outside of a T90.

Good spread! Obviously, from your example, the much stronger DBS satellites would give a wider spread than the Ku satellites. The OP's 95 would be the problem, but might work if it is moved only 8-10 degrees off-centre (depending on the signal quality of the channels watched), with the stronger 121 16-18 off-centre. Experimenting would be the only way to tell whether it would be acceptable!

Good point. But I am sure using a linear lnb on a oval multifeed dish could work. I've seen a few Multistar dishes I believe they're called. Hell...I've tried linears on the phase III with limited success.

I use to have 91/101/110 with a Linear in the middle on a Phase II
110 was for my Dish subscription
101 was for a couple channels that were strong (KUIL & 3ABN)
91 was for the free radio (before ExpressVu scrambled them) :(

bidaw said:
Good point. But I am sure using a linear lnb on a oval multifeed dish could work. I've seen a few Multistar dishes I believe they're called. Hell...I've tried linears on the phase III with limited success.

Before I got my second dish, I experimented with putting a linear LNB on my Star Choice 60cm elliptical dish to get IA5. While I got some of the transponders, the quality was not good enough, so I got a second dish (good excuse for another dish, had the LNB already)! IA5 was 14 degrees off-centre, which was way too much (and just a 60cm dish didn't help either). If it had been a DBS satellite I was shooting for it probably would have been fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts