Can i Get a 622 without subscribing to an HD package?

mjrusso45

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
I am existing Dish sub, I have a 522 now. Getting ready to buy a Plasma HDTV.
I am also moving to Cincinnati next month. It doesn't appear from Dish's site that thye have HD for Cinci locals. Can I still get the HD DVR without subscribing to one of Dish's HD packages?

If you buy it, sure - but you will pay the $6 HD Enabling Fee if you don't subscribe to one of the metal packages.

If you lease, I think there is a minimum programming requirement.

You can likely get your digital locals to the DVR with an antenna. Go to www.antennaweb.org and enter your address, see what it tells you.

Even if you don't Cincy locals in HD, you'd get all of the HD National Channels.

But Pepper is right. You either have to pay for the 622 on your own and they pay up the "HD enabling fee" or if you choose to lease, they require that you at least have the bronze package.

OK so I am paying 34.99 for AT60 with locals now, plus the evil 5.98 DVR fee. (~$41).

49.99 for equivalent HD package (bronze), plus DVR fee (is it the same 5.98?).

I see the HD packages don't even include locals. :mad:

If I choose to just get my locals OTA and not at all from E*, will I still have the local HD shows on the EPG?

I am looking at $200 upfront for the 622, plus ~$56 a month plus tax, right?

49.99 for equivalent HD package (bronze), plus DVR fee (is it the same 5.98?).
yes

I see the HD packages don't even include locals. :mad:
you can add them for $5

If I choose to just get my locals OTA and not at all from E*, will I still have the local HD shows on the EPG?
you wont get any guide data unless you subscribe to the locals. It says "digital local" in the guide otherwise

You are looking at
$49.99 - Bronze
5.98 - DVR Service Fee
6.00 - Leased Receiver Fee
5.00 - Locals
$66.97 - TOTAL

Well, some persistence paid off. I just ordered Dishmover (free with 12 mo commitment) and upgraded to DishHD Bronze + locals.

49.99 Bronze + 5.95 DVR + 5.00 locals

No lease fee! The tier-1 CSR tried to stick me with it, but then I asked for Customer retention and they rolled over pretty fast on me.

Woot.

Well, some persistence paid off. I just ordered Dishmover (free with 12 mo commitment) and upgraded to DishHD Bronze + locals.

49.99 Bronze + 5.95 DVR + 5.00 locals

No lease fee! The tier-1 CSR tried to stick me with it, but then I asked for Customer retention and they rolled over pretty fast on me.

Woot.

Watch your bill, almost everyone else has the lease fee, I don't know of anyone with a leased 622 that does not have it!

Watch your bill, almost everyone else has the lease fee, I don't know of anyone with a leased 622 that does not have it!

I hear you. I made her repeat it twice and go over what my monthly bill would be. I also had her put a note in my file that I would not have to pay a lease fee. If they tack one on, they're going to get an earful. I got her name and CSR # as well.

Her name was Desiree :) :luvlove:

just bought a hdtv. Have dish 625 hooked it up to coax , picture poor.
Would it be better to get the 622 and use the hdmi hook up. This is all new to me.

just bought a hdtv. Have dish 625 hooked it up to coax , picture poor.
Would it be better to get the 622 and use the hdmi hook up. This is all new to me.

The 625 is only SD, the 622 is HD and SD. So yes, if you use a HD receiver for a HDTV the picture will look so much better.:)

You can use either component or HDMI for HD.

Dish told me that my local will need a ota antenna to get in hd, will I have to switch the inputs to watch them in HD?

With your 625, yes, you would have to switch inputs to your tv tuner (assuming your tv has an HD tuner).

But the the 622 you would hook up your antenna directly to it and your local HD channels would be included in your Dish channel list. So no input switching with a 622.

Ok sorry for being so new to this let me run this by you.
Got dish to install the antenna and $200 credit, for 622.
I get sd locals now, would I have to get there hd programming to view local ota in hd.
Should I stay with dish or go to direct (locals in hd).
Is direct any better quality.

ATSC digital tuner with unscrambled digital cable (QAM) capability

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts