Can I get a signal?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Iguchicago

Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I just moved into a condo in Chicago, and was looking at the TV situation. The prices for Comcast seem too expensive for my taste, but I liked the deal that Dish offered. The problem is that the condo association won't let me mount a dish on the roof, because of some "membrane" problem. I can however mount it on the balcony, but I happen to be on the first floor. There's also a rather big tree 30-40 feet or so away. I would figure the dish would have to point SW or NW to have any chance of a signal. Is there a way I can check if I could get a signal without having to waste some installers time? Also, if I can get a signal, does the 29.99 hd package include my RSN (comcast sportsnet hd)? Thanks

The dish will need to point SW and you need a open line of sight. The signal actually hits the top of the dish at about a 45 angle, not the direction the dish appears to be pointing. There is not really a sure fire method, your best off to just order and let the tech try and get it installed.

Non Penatrating mount

I am assuming from you post your apartment has a flat roof. (that is usually the case why they would use a membrane) anyway. you can get a non penetrating mount for your dish. This is basically a flat metal tray with a couple of concrete blocks on it to keep it from moving. I am an installer and I use these all the time for Apartments. Call up Dish and tell them that then the installer can talk to your apartment management.

There is not really a sure fire method, your best off to just order and let the tech try and get it installed.
Actually, there is a pretty darn close method using a handy little plastic gizmo that most installers have access to. You line it up with its built in compass and level and it will show you where the satellites are.

So you know, the elevation in Chicago is around 36.5 degrees, not 45.

I used a drafting triangle as a "quick and dirty" sight tool. 30,60,90. I stuck the short side against a bathroom window right below where I wanted to mount the dish outside, used a compass to point it in the right direction, and sighted up the long side. :)

Hey, don't laugh too hard. It worked.

:D

Actually, there is a pretty darn close method using a handy little plastic gizmo that most installers have access to. You line it up with its built in compass and level and it will show you where the satellites are.

So you know, the elevation in Chicago is around 36.5 degrees, not 45.

Yeah but the OP doesnt have that little nifty tool does he? Nor does he ask for elevation specs. All I gave him a general idea how to figure the line of sight he needs. Its not a sure method and its too hard to tell without seeing the site so thats why I said to call a installer to be sure.

So that YOU know, I dont care what the elevation of Chicago is.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)