Can I get more information on prepaid for dish network?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ArizonaGuy

Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
Arizona
Hello, I wanted more information on Dish prepaid. I've searched the forum and found a few things on FlexTV.
I want to pay for all my equipment up front and be able to activate and deactivate as needed.
Can someone please point me to the cost of the equipment installed such a receiver cost and dish installation cost?
Is there a current link to program pricing for no contract?
Would it cost less to just get the tailgater with receiver?
I need the service for one television but how much more to have it on another tv?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to do a pay as you go just buy the equipment up front and do the install yourself. As for how the billing goes it works this way (I did this about a year ago)

you call to activate a new account. Rep gets the info from you (name/address/programming package etc)
you pay for the 1st month up front (so if you activate on Feb 1 you pay for Feb 1-28)
10 days after you get going you will get a bill for March 1-31 that will be due on Feb 28th
If you pay it by then you get March's programming. If you dont they shut you off

You can cancel anytime

Hello, I wanted more information on Dish prepaid. I've searched the forum and found a few things on FlexTV.
I want to pay for all my equipment up front and be able to activate and deactivate as needed.
Can someone please point me to the cost of the equipment installed such a receiver cost and dish installation cost?
Is there a current link to program pricing for no contract?
Would it cost less to just get the tailgater with receiver?
I need the service for one television but how much more to have it on another tv?

Thanks in advance.

You will need a 211 receiver and a dish either 1000.2 or 1000.4 depending what your locals are on. To save your self some time and trouble when calling to activate ask for Pay-As-You-Go for your RV. You can add any programming dish has but you can only have one receiver on the account.

Pay as you go accounts don't require 211s. A specific RV account may only allow a 211 family receiver but a normal pay as you go can have any type of receiver as far as I'm aware. I've seen pay as you go accounts with DVRs and HD equipment. As long as you own it, I don't think it matters..

There is no requirement to get any specific model of receiver on a prepaid account, although a Tailgater package is only available on the 211k.

If you want it on another TV, then get a dual tuner receiver such as 722k, if you want HD or a SD dual tuner such as 625 for SD.
If you want HD on both TV's then you would have to get another HD receiver, which can be added to the account for the extra monthly receiver fee.

With the new add $10 for HD on the AT plans now which just started. I would look at the dish America packs. Other wise top 120 with HD will be $59.99 vs $39.99

If you go prepaid the HD was always $10 add on

So AT120+HD was 54.99 now its 59.99 after the price change
HD America is 39.99

If you want to do a pay as you go just buy the equipment up front and do the install yourself.

I'm on a flex account. When I called to order service, I was able to purchase the receiver through the company, pay for flex activation, paid the first month's bill, and someone came out and installed the dish a few days later. They also brought the receiver I had purchased. I wonder if a new flex customer is still able to do that, as I started with Dish back in late 2010. The reason I had it installed by a professional is because I haven't the slightest clue on how to get the dish to align with the satellites in the sky, I will admit that.

Last edited:
My advice is don't do pay in advance. If you do you will have to pay for any tech visits upfront if you add a channel like hbo you will have to pay a prorated fee upfront etc.

Some people like the option of paying for things upfront so that they can get it out of the way. Plus it's convenient for if you have people living in the house who like to run up bills, they can't order Pay Per View with the remote, the only way to order those events on Flex is by phone or online, and you have to have the pin number to get into the account.

You can also prepay a normal account. If you do not mind the 2 year commitment with the discounts and Hopper, you have the option of going to a bill pay place and prepaying on your Dish account.

We have a family vacation place several hundred miles from our home account. It makes no sense to have an annual account and be paying for nine months of service if no one is there to watch. Paying ahead of time allows us to only pay for those months that we need service.

Last edited:
Oh, how I do miss the good old days of Dish's prepaid service. Such a beautiful creature that was. You could prepay by the DAY/WEEK/MONTH/etc.... No need for a package as you could order HBO/SHOWTIME/CINEMAX/STARZ ALL BY THEMSELVES by the DAY/WEEK/MONTH/etc....

Oh, what a glorius thing it was. Then in 2008 DISH DESTROYED IT, and replaced it with this crap. Why? Because it was too good to be true for the consumer. THE CONSUMER HAD ALL THE POWER.

Oh, well. A Rueful Memory. A Blissful one. (SNIFF!!!)

STEELERSRULE said:
Oh, how I do miss the good old days of Dish's prepaid service. Such a beautiful creature that was. You could prepay by the DAY/WEEK/MONTH/etc.... No need for a package as you could order HBO/SHOWTIME/CINEMAX/STARZ ALL BY THEMSELVES by the DAY/WEEK/MONTH/etc....

Oh, what a glorius thing it was. Then in 2008 DISH DESTROYED IT, and replaced it with this crap. Why? Because it was too good to be true for the consumer. THE CONSUMER HAD ALL THE POWER.

Oh, well. A Rueful Memory. A Blissful one. (SNIFF!!!)

I liked the program also. The issue is that Dish needed to associate each channel with a daily charge and allow you to upload money to your account in advance to pre-pay the charges.

The problem is that each prepaid card prepaid a certain service for x number of days. So If you wanted AT200 with HBO it would require 2 $30 cards and at200 would expire in 20 days and HBO might expire in 60 days.

Too clunky, but I did like the fact there was no actual account tied to the receiver, no ssn and no credit check.

I've got a friend who will be going this route for his RV. I just picked him up a 211k. So the procedure would be to call them up, say you want to do an RV activation only account, and his service would run for a month (prepaid when activating)? If he does nothing else he'll get shutoff after that month, and then can do it all over again a few months later?

I liked the program also. The issue is that Dish needed to associate each channel with a daily charge and allow you to upload money to your account in advance to pre-pay the charges.

The problem is that each prepaid card prepaid a certain service for x number of days. So If you wanted AT200 with HBO it would require 2 $30 cards and at200 would expire in 20 days and HBO might expire in 60 days.

Too clunky, but I did like the fact there was no actual account tied to the receiver, no ssn and no credit check.

Actually Claude, what you are referring to are the prepaid cards that Dish sould give to places like Radio Shack, and they would be in either $30 or $40 increments. And you had to use the entire card on whatever service you ordered. So you were stuck.

When the GreenDot MoneyPak became partnered wih Dish, it all changed. You could specify certan amounts/periods of time by using that GDMP. It was awesome. You could sign up for a weekend of TV for around $5, give or take $.50cents here or there, and get AT250/All premiums/etc....

It was awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)