Can I get only Korean channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ansatzjp

Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Hi. I just found this forum googling "satellite forum." What a great forum!

I hope you experts could help me out. Here is my situation: I recently moved to a new apartment, and the management office allows only ONE satellite dish in my balcony. Problem is that my location (06518) needs to have two dishses--one for local and the other for international channels.

I called Directv to inquire whether I can have only one dish for international channels. The answer varies widely: no, you can't; yes, you can, but you need to pay the basic local fee ($ 9.99) in addition to the KoreanDirect ($ 26.90); finally one sales person confirmed that I can have only international channels, but once she transfered my call to another "international expert," it became impossible all over again.

Does anyone here have any success to install only one international dish without subscribing to a local basic package? Thanks in advance for any help.

ansatzjp said:

I hope you experts could help me out. Here is my situation: I recently moved to a new apartment, and the management office allows only ONE satellite dish in my balcony. Problem is that my location (06518) needs to have two dishses--one for local and the other for international channels.

I called Directv to inquire whether I can have only one dish for international channels. The answer varies widely: no, you can't; yes, you can, but you need to pay the basic local fee ($ 9.99) in addition to the KoreanDirect ($ 26.90); finally one sales person confirmed that I can have only international channels, but once she transfered my call to another "international expert," it became impossible all over again.

Does anyone here have any success to install only one international dish without subscribing to a local basic package? Thanks in advance for any help.
As a dealer, we were informed all international channels required the minimum lowest America package come with, excepted the Jade channels. Its a one dish solution.

Don't know if you need two dishes, but if its "your" balcony your apartment management office can't prevent you having two dishes - as per FCC ruling....

ansatzjp said:

Hi anSatZjp - According to DirecTV 's international site page

http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPage.jsp?assetId=1200050

you have to at least subscribe to DirecTV's Basic Package ($9.99 mo.). Its true, if you want locals AND international, you will have to have 2 dishes because locals and Internationals (Ints.) are diff. satellites (as I was told by DirecTV.

Okay, let me start over (LOL). If I understand you correctly, in you just want Ints., then you will need the Ints. Dish 36" and subscribe to DirecTV Basic. Hope this helps.

Guys, if I'm wrong please correct me. : )

To be more precise, since you are in the Hartford-New Haven market, you will need the oval dish, because your locals are on 119. You will then ALSO need the D* 36" international dish, which normally gets 101, but will not enable you to get your locals. (You MUST have a 101 feed, as the receivers will not work w/out this feed, even if you do NOT have core prog from 101) You will also need a 6x8 switch to combine all this together.

Maybe you could look into a FTA setup to satisfy your international programming? You wont get anything scrambled, but it might provide what you are looking for and with a one dish solution. Then if you need any locals you could get a "life-line" package most cable companies offer with just your locals in it.

Thanks for all the answers. It sounds a lot more complicated than I originally thought, and there are a lot of jargons I don't quite understand. IA5 / Globecast / FTA... well, I gotta study this forum more diligently.

IA5 = Intelsat Americas 5 located @ 97.0°w in the Clarke Belt.

FTA = Free to Air (satellite) MPEG / DVB on C band and Ku band.

Globecast = a division of France Telecom, is a direct-to-home provider of free-to-air and encrypted ethnic television and audio channels via the Intelsat Americas 5 satellite.

click the links in BLUE

Last edited:
I must of accidentially clicked on the DirecTV forum instead of the Dish.

I don't know a lot about DirecTV, but DirecTV has always told me they don't have any Korean programming, anyway, here's some info on Dish Network.

The last time I've read the propaganda on the web pages for Dish Network, they will allow you to have various international packages, and I believe the A La Cart channels, but if you do not subscribe to one of their other packages, then there was a service charge which I believe was like $5.

The Korean Variety Pack offered by Dish has 6 channels. All 6 channels are broadcasted on 61.5, 148, and now 118.7. On 121, you can only receive 4 of the 6 channels, and I don't know if they will continue to provide these on 121. You can subscribe to the KVP either monthly, or annually which is the cost of 11 months.

There are several 1 dish options for this:
SuperDish 121 -- 119, 110 and 121. About a 36" oval shape dish. May now be hard to get.
Dish 500+ -- 119, 110, 118.7. About a 33" dish. New, but is becoming more available.
Dish 1000+ -- 119, 110, 118.7, 129. Identical to the 500+, just has another LNBF attached to the cluster. This will give you the rest of the HD channels that can be received only on 129 or 61.5, and also has some locals.

If you are only going to watch KBS World, then it is Free with the AT60 and above package. But recent rumors were it would be free with all subscriptions.

When I recently renewed a short term lease where I'm at, I noticed they changed the agreement to 1 dish, but, I contested it based on the fact I stated 2 dishes on the initial lease. I haven't checked so see if there was a limit to the number of dishes; but I suspect if not, that the FCC will eventually modify that ruling since there really is no technical reason you can not have a single dish in most cases.

EDIT: I will edit and add right here a link about the KBS becoming a PI channel on Dish.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)