Can i get some major networks - TVfools info supplied

How are you aiming the antenna? Just in the general direction or are you using an app/compass? Glad you're getting something now, with tweaking you might can get more. I think if you picked up a larger UHF antenna and pre-amp to combine with that VHF you would have a much better selection of channels from San Diego as well.

Well fellas, the aiming was not by a compass at all. The horse trail next to my house runs east west so O know the general direction. It also seemed like the antenna like a mild up angulation. I aimed in the vicinity scanned and once a station was found I turned 15 degrees in each direction very slowly and let it settle and see if the pixelation etc improved. I was able find a sweet spot. I then rescanned and adjusted the weaker channel which was 9 at this point. Yesterday on the ground I could find 11 but not 9 if i recall, and on the roof I could not find 11 at all walking one end to another. The 2edge signals are weak and bounce and scatter and do not perform as one would anticipate it seems. Now will see what happens in the rain....This has been a fun (not so fun but you know) exercise in patience. This morning I went up and installed the full spectrum antenna on the roof. It is small and all I had to mount it was a small plastic (pvc?) vent hole or something up there. It is very low on the roof and it needs to be due to the super high winds. I was able to get 39.1 and 40.1 but my TVs battery dies. Wire got dumped into the attic space so I can attach it to one of the other 3 free SAT wire spools and it will feed into the media box where I can use the UHF VHF combiner.

Update again, picked up the MCM 30-2155 antenna and aimed it to SD, and I now have 39.1,39.2, 69.1, 69.2, 69.3 .....39.1 is NBC and 69.1 is fox, and there is cozi, antenna tv and THIS tv. While I dont watch the last 3much, like the fact that I have nbc and fox from SD, and ABC and kcal9 from LA. Also have 24.1-4 PBS and affliates. Missing CBS but overall not too shabby.
antenna link
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2155-/30-2155

Seems to be fairly stable, appreciate the help

Attachments

• DSCN9464.JPG
    DSCN9464.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN9467.JPG
    DSCN9467.JPG
    231.9 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: Mr Tony and FTA4PA
Iceberg
thank you for all your help. I went back and reread the entire thread and you were spot on.

The 2476 antenna was assembled correctly all along. However it needed to be high, the upstairs balcony gave me a glimpse 7.1 signal but nothing that could be locked. The backyard gave me 11 and 13 but install there was not feasable. Attic install was a fantasy. The install on the top roof tucked on the back of the chimney looking west gets me 7.1,2,3 and 9.1 consistently, has never dropped off. I even split that signal into 2 for the upstairs TV and it does perfect. Why it gets the weaker 7/9 but not the stronger 9/11, maybe tvfool has it wrong....obviously it gets what it gets and does not prefer. My guess is 7/9 are stronger at my house, and at my neighbors 11/13 may be stronger...who knows?

The 2155 (UHF VHF) antenna was mounted near the front of the house looking south and it took some time to tweak the signal but it seems to be doing OK. Signal is low but even in daytime it seems to not pixelate. What really cool is that it is like 3 feet long but I would consider it more attractive than the larger Xg91 sort of antennas.

We went from basically 24.1-24.4 to
7.1 7.2 7.3
24.1 -24.3
39.1 39.2 39.3
69.1 69.2

There is something cool about watching the news from 110 miles away :) The 2300 feet of elevation at my location and my street sloping significantly gives me a good path to the SD signal. Amazing. I think that 2155 really is a very good antenna. Performs well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony
Quick question..... would an amp like a channel master 7777 possibly be of any help to increase my LA stations since theoretically 11 and 13 are nearby but I am not getting them at all? I was thinking those things required a separate power supply but it seems the power adapter simply powers up the amp via the rg6.....where exactly would the power adapter need to spliced in to the setup since I have 2 antennas and the VHF UHF combiner

Amplifying nothing often results in more expensive nothing.

You should typically put a pre-amp as close as practical to the output of the combiner. The power injector should have a more or less uninterrupted run of cable to the output of the pre-amp. If there isn't a convenient outlet, power passing devices may be inserted but it has to be done thoughtfully.

Quick question..... would an amp like a channel master 7777 possibly be of any help to increase my LA stations since theoretically 11 and 13 are nearby but I am not getting them at all? I was thinking those things required a separate power supply but it seems the power adapter simply powers up the amp via the rg6.....where exactly would the power adapter need to spliced in to the setup since I have 2 antennas and the VHF UHF combiner

If you decide to do it put the amp after the combiner. That is what I did when I had my antenna setup at the lake house.
Or there is a RCA amp that has separate VHF & UHF inputs so you can remove the combiner
http://www.rcaantennas.net/search/?sku=TVPRAMP1R

They can be found at numerous places (Wal-Mart, Target, home improvement stores, Amazon). I had one of those on a 2nd setup and it worked just as good as my other amp (an old Radio Shack one)

If you decide to do it put the amp after the combiner. That is what I did when I had my antenna setup at the lake house.
Here is one of the pics. As you can see (if you blow the pic up) below the amp is the combiner. The output of the combiner went into the amp.

IMG_20150907_131442_452.jpg

That RCA unit looks to be much better (economical) alternative to the CM 7777. At this point (and going forever forward) my LA and SD antennas are located a good fifty feet apart and their inputs are coming in to a media closet. So my best guess is they run down 50 feet of coax each. My guess is I will have to place the amp at the antenna (each one at a time) and see what I get on either one....choose to use it on one antenna or the other but not really on both ......

Small update.......
My 2 antenna setup is working OK, I reliably have 7.1-3 and 9.1 (100% of the time) on my VHF antenna - nothing else comes on this to my surprise.....my UHF antenna aimed at San Diego towers 107 miles away is iffy.....
recently lost 39.1 39.2 but still have 69.1-2-3 (with occasional pixelation and dropout)/ Also 15.1-4 seem to be coming in now......realigning the San Diego antenna does not make a difference......
This is the antenna aimed at SD currently.......
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2155-/30-2155

I would like to swap it with something else.......
Place where it is mounted is limited, so I can replace it with this but in the attic
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2415

or can try to mount this in the current location (outside the house)
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2425-/30-2425

any suggestions ? should i try to add an amplifier somewhere ? not even sure where since I have a UHF VHF combiner

When you look at the 30-2476, are all of the short elements on the front with the three longest reflectors on the very back? That's the mistake most people make (including me!). Mine came with one of the longer rods attached to the front, I just flipped it around and locked into place without looking. I wondered why it didn't work, until I looked at a better diagram.

was reading all the posts again, what do you mean by this ? do you have a pic of how it should look ?
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2476

Place where it is mounted is limited, so I can replace it with this but in the attic
Putting an antenna with only 2.5dB more gain inside is going to kill any advantage that the antenna has and more. UHF is absorbed readily by materials other than perhaps window glass. Roofing material is pretty high on the list of UHF buzz-kills.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)