Can I have a receiver in my detached garage?

With DishComm doesn't only 1 receiver need a phone line?

I'd think you'd want to NOT connect the box in the gararge to the phone, and let them connect through DishComm (if it has a phone line it might try and use it).

NOBODY USES SOLID COPPER COAX!!!! It is too expensive. Not even the guys in the Directv Vans, they use copper plated steel rated at 3 ghz.
Solid copper center is a D* requirement for KaKu installs and it does cost a little more than copper coated steel but it has less voltage loss on long runs.:)

You will be fine to put it in the garage. Dont worry about an audit. A tech does not report anything. If the DVR is connected to the phone line you save 5.00. If not you are charged 5.00. Simple as that. What triggers the audit police is when you have 2 receivers on the same account that later dial out using different phone numbers. This takes place down the road anyhow. In your case you dont need to worry. You can A. hook them up via the ethernet port which or B: use the dishcomm service to connect via one phone line. C: Also could use wireless and homeplug if needed. You have no reason to be concerned here.

If you don't have a HD tv in the garage, then possibly make tv2 in out there, one cable to tv, the other as an extension from the tv2 uhf antenna port with the actual antenna mounted in the garage. I have extended the antenna as much as 100 ft before with no problem. You will still get your HD programming down converted to 480 and looking pretty good.

If you don't have a HD tv in the garage, then possibly make tv2 in out there, one cable to tv, the other as an extension from the tv2 uhf antenna port with the actual antenna mounted in the garage. I have extended the antenna as much as 100 ft before with no problem. You will still get your HD programming down converted to 480 and looking pretty good.

Its the new Pio 60" plasma. It has to get HDTV :) This will be our media/theatre room for now.

Last edited:
Audits?

Audits??

If I was ever alienated by Dish pestering me and asking for an audit, they would lose a very good paying customer that doesn't do anything wrong, by pissing me off. Just the fact that they ask for an audit of their customers, shows suspect of your activities by them. This is unacceptable. I will not be questioned and made to feel like I have done something wrong by Dish Network. They aren't the IRS or police.

As for the phone line. I don't have any of my boxes hooked up to a phone line and never have. I have two of them on Ethernet. The 622 phones home that way. If this guy has Vonage out in the garage, he must have Ethernet, so he can plug the 722 in that way. Forget the phone line.

Ok, I have a similar situation. I want to put a 625 or maybe later 722 in my detached building, it is not built yet. When they run the power underground I just need to get them to run RG-6 cabling to the building? I run that off an empty out on my switch and that's all I need? What about the two tuners, do I need two lines run? Can someone help on this? By the way I have a switch with an empty out port and a Dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a dish for 61.5.

Ok, I have a similar situation. I want to put a 625 or maybe later 722 in my detached building, it is not built yet. When they run the power underground I just need to get them to run RG-6 cabling to the building? I run that off an empty out on my switch and that's all I need? What about the two tuners, do I need two lines run? Can someone help on this? By the way I have a switch with an empty out port and a Dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a dish for 61.5.
If you have a DPP44 switch, you will only need one cable.

You've mentioned they have Vonage out there. I know it's a separate number but you can call Dish and have them add that number to the account.

People with two phone lines do it.

You've mentioned they have Vonage out there. I know it's a separate number but you can call Dish and have them add that number to the account.

People with two phone lines do it.

Why bother? He needs Ethernet out there to use Vonage as it is, and is better off using the Ethernet port on his 722. If he uses the phone line, it will dial out and tie up a phone line every time it needs to dial out. Ethernet would be unnoticeable and just use a little broadband bandwidth. No biggie.

Why bother? He needs Ethernet out there to use Vonage as it is, and is better off using the Ethernet port on his 722. If he uses the phone line, it will dial out and tie up a phone line every time it needs to dial out. Ethernet would be unnoticeable and just use a little broadband bandwidth. No biggie.

Sounds like two solutions, thanks. I will most likely just hook them both up to ethernet. The installer comes tomorrow, hopefully things will go smoothly with my garage addition.

Sounds like two solutions, thanks. I will most likely just hook them both up to ethernet. The installer comes tomorrow, hopefully things will go smoothly with my garage addition.

Yeah, good luck. When I had my stuff installed last spring, it went great. I just had four TVs, (VIP211, 622 for room a and room b, and a whatchamacallit non-hd box for my son's room) The installer was Bosnian or something and didn't speak very good english, but I was able to relay to him what I needed done and have him run all new wires. I live in an older house so the wiring I have done for my security cameras, patio TV, electric to outdoors, etc is up at ceiling level under the eves on my pato. The guy had to climb around my hot tub and wire tie the cabling in two directions. He was very professional and did not complain. I have had installers from both BHN and Knology complain over the years on running new cable and going under the house, through the attic, etc, but this Dish tech was one of the best techs I have ever had from an install basis. Like I said, he wasn't good with English so I had to figure out the remotes, boxes and all that myself (no big deal, I am a techie person and all my other questions were answered on sat guys). His people skills lacked, but that was not the important thing with an install. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)