Can I hook 2 HD TV's to the 722

kfkolonel

Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
I have a 722 receiver with two tv's connected via a splitter to the standard definition output (Dish 2). Works fine, with a uhf remote for each tv. Can I do a similar thing with the HD Dish 1 receiver? At present it is connected to my primary TV via Component video and I would like to connect it via HDMI to a HD TV in my bedroom. Before I purchase the long HDMI cable and string it to the bedroom I'd like to know if there is any reason it won't work. Any experience with this?

Thread should be moved to the Dish Network forum.

To answer your question you can connect two TVs to the 722 but both will see the same show. The component and HDMI outputs are both hot at the same time so you can use those two outputs for the 2 TVs.

The 622/722 outputs to all outputs simultaneously on TV1 and TV2, so you could connect one HDTV to the HDMI connector and the other to the component connector.

I have heard of those who split either the component or HDMI output and ran it to two HDTV's with mixed results, especially with HDMI which requires feedback from the display to correctly maintainthe link.

I'm tring to do the same thing. bought 50ft of component cables get piture but no sound???? any help thanks

aertie - If all you bought were the peanut butter (Y-Pb-Pr) cables, all you'll get is video. You have to use either optical or RCA audio cables for your audio hookup.

This is where hooking up a 2nd HDTV to the 722 TV1 location is difficult. The following assumes one of your TVs is in the room with the receiver.

If you want to do this, you'll probably need to use HDMI for the first location (since it brings A/V, thus freeing up options for the audio at the 2nd HDTV), and use component for video + RCA (or optical cable thru digital audio output, though there may be distance issues) for audio at the 2nd HDTV.

Of course, at the end of all this, the 2nd HDTV will still have to watch the same channels as the first. You'll probably want to make TV1 into UHF Pro so you can put separate green UHF Pro remotes in each HDTV room (at least you won't have to carry a remote from room to room). Be sure you watch your remote addressing if you use this option, so your TV2 doesn't end up conflicting.

Tv one won't do UHF on a he reciever like the 625s and 332's though I thought. I would think you would have to justbget an extra tv 2 remote and program it to the same tv 2 remote address as the other tv 2 remote and just keep the reciever in single mode as changing the tv 2 channel will change the tv 1 channel when in single mode, and the extra remote will work for either hd tv 1 tv.

Tv one won't do UHF on a he reciever like the 625s and 332's though I thought. I would think you would have to justbget an extra tv 2 remote and program it to the same tv 2 remote address as the other tv 2 remote and just keep the reciever in single mode as changing the tv 2 channel will change the tv 1 channel when in single mode, and the extra remote will work for either hd tv 1 tv.

The 625 is an SD Receiver. Were you talking about the 622???

Geoff

aertie - If all you bought were the peanut butter (Y-Pb-Pr) cables, all you'll get is video. You have to use either optical or RCA audio cables for your audio hookup.

This is where hooking up a 2nd HDTV to the 722 TV1 location is difficult. The following assumes one of your TVs is in the room with the receiver.

If you want to do this, you'll probably need to use HDMI for the first location (since it brings A/V, thus freeing up options for the audio at the 2nd HDTV), and use component for video + RCA (or optical cable thru digital audio output, though there may be distance issues) for audio at the 2nd HDTV.

Of course, at the end of all this, the 2nd HDTV will still have to watch the same channels as the first. You'll probably want to make TV1 into UHF Pro so you can put separate green UHF Pro remotes in each HDTV room (at least you won't have to carry a remote from room to room). Be sure you watch your remote addressing if you use this option, so your TV2 doesn't end up conflicting.

Or you could just split the red & white audio cables, that's what I've done to run sound to both my TV and DVD Recorder. I wouldn't split video cables though.

I'm getting my new 722 today. I currently only have the one HDtv, but plan to do one componet, one HDMI when I upgrade my second tv. I would love to do the UHF on tv1. It looks like the 6.3 from dish store won't work with the 722. Maybe the platinum pro relay, then getting 2 remotes to talk to the relay device. I'll be watching this site for any news and others results. I'm looking forward to HD tonight finally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)