Can I install my own upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Hello. I would like to upgrade from my curent setup so that I can see MonsterHD, and the other Voom channels. I have an 811, with Dish 500, so I know I would have to upgrade. Can I do this on my own? What would I need (dish wise and receiver wise)? Can I purchase this myself so that I don't have a contract? Thanks in advance!

iafirebuff said:
Hello. I would like to upgrade from my curent setup so that I can see MonsterHD, and the other Voom channels. I have an 811, with Dish 500, so I know I would have to upgrade. Can I do this on my own? What would I need (dish wise and receiver wise)? Can I purchase this myself so that I don't have a contract? Thanks in advance!
You will need a dish aimed at 61.5 or at 129 for the HD channels. I'm sure Claude will sell you either a 211 or a 622 so you can avoid a contract with DISH.:)

Looks like you are in Iowa ? Hello From Missouri. You can pick up a 211 on ebay for about $150-200.00, just make sure the seller has a good bid history, ask for the R# and call dish to make sure it has no balance against it.

If you have legacy or dish pro stuff ?

Legacy, just buy a dish 300 single lnb and point it at 61.5 and get an sw21 switch to combine them.

Dish pro, get a DP 34 switch, and a dish pro 500 single and point at 61.5 and hook to dp34 switch.

If you are going to spend the money, I would buy the 622 HD DVR, it has dual Sat tuners and OTA tuner. It requires two cables ran to it for each tuner or if you have dish pro, a splitter ran to a DP44 switch with your other SAT pointed at 61.5 and connected to the DP44

Dishstore.net also has good prices on new stuff and will help you out with whatever parts you need to get it going. They are great help.

Last edited:
IIRC, I was receiving Monster HD on 9481 with my 811 before I upgraded, so if you currently have the original 10 voom channels you should have that one. Can you still add those channels to the old HD Pak? (That was the combination I originally had for $14.99 per month minus a $5 credit.)

To get all the new HD channels including the 5 new voom channels you now need one of the ViP receivers (211 or 622) and at least HD Bronze programming. If you were receiving the 10 voom channels before then you probably do not need to add any equipment. If not, then you can either swap your current D500 for a D1000 that would add the 129 sat., or add a second dish (D300 or D500) that you could point to either 129 or 61.5 if that location has better signal strength for you. (Most of the "national" HD programming is the same on 61.5 and 129.)

Can you (or will you eventually be able to) receive any local channels in HD from E* in your DMA? If so they are most likely on the 129 sat., so if you want those channels that makes the decision for you. Otherwise either sat. is a viable option. How many receivers will you have? What equipment do you have now (what LNB(s), switch, etc.) Answers to those questions will determine the best path to take.

I had an 811 with a 2-dish installation done in Dec. (leased). I then purchased a 622 and did the swap-out myself. I using the 811 in another location since I still have time remaining on my original commitment. E* allowed me to do the 622 "installation" myself and I called their Tech Service to activate it, which they did with no hassle. I originally kept the old HD Pak w/voom (15 HD channels), plus AT60 and locals, but that did not get me any of the new HD channels. I eventually changed to HD Bronze to get the all the HD channels on the 622 (except premiums and NGHD, 26 total?) and the rest stayed the same. This new programming actually worked out to be $1 per month cheaper and there is no "HD access fee" as I was paying with the old package, and no lease fee since I own the 622.

In understand E* is much more restrictive with self-installs these days, and if you need additional equipment (new dish or whatever) then you're probably better off letting them handle it anyway. If they won't initially agree to a self-install with an owned 622, keep calling until you get a tech who will. YMMV...

Thanks all! I will contact Dish and see if I can get just the VOOM channels, as that is what I am after. I only have the original HD pack on my 811. Thanks!

If you're lucky you can just add the original 10 to your grandfathered HD Pak for another $5 per month. But you'll still need to add another dish pointed to 61.5 or 129 to get them. Follow the advice the others provided as to the best arrangements for that. Let us know how you make out. I for one am curious as to whether or not they will still allow you to do this. Good luck with it...!

Thanks again! I am teetering between upgrading my Dish or going to Directv. I do not have a contract, so that is nice. Now to decide. I wish the Monster Channel was on more services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)