Can I install UHF/VHF antenna preamp with (Satellite) Diplexer

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
can I install UHF/VHF antenna preamp with diplexer

I have dish Network VIP 722 receiver with OTA antenna for local channels. I am having reception issue as posted in another thread and I was recommended to get preamp to resolve it. I have finally got winegard AP-8700 preamp with 2.8db noise and 26 db gain. following is my setup

- RG6 from Phillips MANT900 VHF/UHF antenna to diplexer(1)
- DISH 500 & Dish 300 to DP34 switch
- One cable out from DP 34 to directly to 722 tuner(1)
- One cable out from DP 34 to diplexer(1)
- One cable out from diplexer(1) to diplexer(2)
- diplexer(2) to OTA tuner of 722
- diplexer(2) to satellite Tuner(2) of 722

I am already running 2 cable to Satellite (since I didn't have DP PRO lnbs), I don't want to run third separate cable for antenna therefore I have been using diplexer.

Now I got pre-amp with its own power supplier, can I simply install preamp by antenna and power supply between cable "-diplexer(2) to OTA tuner of 722"

I recommend against diplexing (it reduces signal on both OTA and sat) , but if you must, you may.

You must place the power inserter for your pre-amp before the signal enters the outside diplexer or your pre-amp will get no power and you get no signal at all.

I do believe that either Channel Master or Winegard makes a pre-amp that uses satellite voltage to power the pre-amp.

I recommend against diplexing (it reduces signal on both OTA and sat) , but if you must, you may..

Yeah, I agree but I am getting too many cables running in single room.

You must place the power inserter for your pre-amp before the signal enters the outside diplexer or your pre-amp will get no power and you get no signal at all.

Is that mean I have to provide power outdoor?

I do believe that either Channel Master or Winegard makes a pre-amp that uses satellite voltage to power the pre-amp.

How do I do that? I am using AP-8700 pre-amp

Diplexers may be what your problem is, they reduce OTA signal. Why not spend the money on a DPP twin, then you can have one cable for sat and one for OTA and dump the diplexers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)