Can I remove the drive from my 622 and use it as an external drive if I have to replace the 622?

judyintexas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
My 622 is getting a bit flaky and i am afraid when the technicians come (it's not working right now) they will want me to replace it. I have been trying to catch up with the programming I want to watch on the DVR, but I haven't been able to.

I know on the 622, and I assume on the newer models, an external disc drive can be added that will add capacity to the DVR. Can I save my DVR content this way, or is there some other way to accomplish my purpose?

I understand that I can only attach this external drive to a Dish receiver/recorder that has an active subscription, which is not a problem.

Yep. EHDs are formatted differently. Can't read an internal drive that way.

My 622 is getting a bit flaky and i am afraid when the technicians come (it's not working right now) they will want me to replace it. I have been trying to catch up with the programming I want to watch on the DVR, but I haven't been able to.

I know on the 622, and I assume on the newer models, an external disc drive can be added that will add capacity to the DVR. Can I save my DVR content this way, or is there some other way to accomplish my purpose?

I understand that I can only attach this external drive to a Dish receiver/recorder that has an active subscription, which is not a problem.
The external drive doesn't add capacity to the DVR automatically. Recordings can be transferred to/from the external drive manually and you can see what's on the external drive by selecting it in the DVR menu. Dish Anywhere can NOT see external drives.

Once the receiver or it's internal drive fail, it's too late to transfer recordings to an external drive so I'd get on it ASAP. Transferring programs in small blocks is best. That's especially true of the receiver is locking up a lot.

If you own the 622, you can yank the hard drive, format it and use it in a computer. I used to do that with 501/508/510 drives. But you can not recover any shows from them.

But it is a well used, IDE drive....

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
For the previous two posts: Absitively, posilutely.

With a nod to M.A.S.H.!

I used to do that with 501/508/510 drives. But you can not recover any shows from them.

But it is a well used, IDE drive....

And rather dinky by present standards. But I have to contest your statement that you cannot recover shows from them. You can and I have using PVRExplorer. Ah... Those were the days!

Reactions: brad1138
Hello Judy. We're sorry to hear you're having a problem.
The drive inside the 622 can not be removed. If it's functional, you can transfer recording to an external hard drive and use that with your replacement receiver.

http://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd
For the specifics.

Thank you, Mark_L. This will work for me, as the 622 is working (and, in fact, Dish support identified my current glitchiness as a failing surge suppressor).I'd still like to back up the programming, just in case it fails. the 622 has been a wonderfully reliable and long-lasting product. I don't think Dish offers the 622 model as a replacement, but will the external drive work to transfer content to a 722? I don't really want to go to the Hopper.

The external drive doesn't add capacity to the DVR automatically. Recordings can be transferred to/from the external drive manually and you can see what's on the external drive by selecting it in the DVR menu. Dish Anywhere can NOT see external drives.

Once the receiver or it's internal drive fail, it's too late to transfer recordings to an external drive so I'd get on it ASAP. Transferring programs in small blocks is best. That's especially true of the receiver is locking up a lot.

kwindrem, Thank you for the advice to make the transfer sooner rather than waiting, and to transfer the programming in small blocks.

"and, in fact, Dish support identified my current glitchiness as a failing surge suppressor" ... I wouldn't trust that for a second. Any CSR that told you over the phone they think they figured out your problem is your surge suppressor (unless it was blatantly obvious, like everything plugged into it stop working occasionally), is taking a shot in the dark at best.

The bigger question, is why are you still using a 622? Get a (DVR ready) 2 TB external drive, back up what you want, and get a Hopper 3 man :). That is what I did, now I have tons of storage as well.

Reactions: pattykay
Because the Hopper is overkill for some people. I only have one TV in my house, so I have no need to be able to watch 16 programs at once.

Then go for a Hopper 2 (3 tuners). The 622/722 are OLD, their software is stretchy and they glitch a lot. Also, the HD picture is better with Hoppers, being as the internal electronics are 10+ years older in the 622/722. Not to mention, on demand, apps (Netflix, pandora etc.) User interface, speed of menu/guide, 10x the recording space.... and on and on.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan
Then go for a Hopper 2 (3 tuners). The 622/722 are OLD, their software is stretchy and they glitch a lot. Also, the HD picture is better with Hoppers, being as the internal electronics are 10+ years older in the 622/722. Not to mention, on demand, apps (Netflix, pandora etc.) User interface, speed of menu/guide.... and on and on.

OK. What about the DVR fee? I am currently grandfathered in and pay $7/month for my VIP 612 DVR. Would that stay the same if I upgrade to a Hopper or does it go up to $15?

OK. What about the DVR fee? I am currently grandfathered in and pay $7/month for my VIP 612 DVR. Would that stay the same if I upgrade to a Hopper or does it go up to $15?

True, it would go up "$8"/month (not any big deal IMHO). Are you paying for protection plan? or maybe $10/month for HD? (HD is now free, but some are still paying $10 for it) Get those removed and come out ahead. The protection plan is a joke, you are throwing money away if you have it.

But if the $8 is a big deal, then stay with the 612.

Last edited:
Reactions: dishrich
But if the $8 is a big deal, then stay with the 612.
Except it would make much more sense to change that (single) receiver to a 722 - PIP, almost double HDD capacity & ability to send a 2nd signal out to somewhere else (but only at SD) for the same DVR fee.
Although if he did it as a swap, not sure if he'd loose his grandfathered DVR status, though...

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts