Can I run a dual LNB on one cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I am thinking of going with D* or DISH. The dish option would require that I buy two dishes as I live in the northeast and a seperate dish is required for HD. Not so for D* I am told.

BUT, I want two LNB signals running to my DVR receiver. Problem, I only have one cable currently running from the dish placement to be to the living room. Major pain in the ass to run another cable. Can I just have both LNBs connected to a diplexer and then have another on the living room end splitting them again? Is there any downside to doing this if it is possible?

Finally, if I added a clip on antenna, could I combine all 3 signals on the one cable????

Thanks!!!:) -ROb

Thats pretty much a no to everything. Diplexers operate by combining signals that occupy different frequency bands onto the same cable. You can't combine multiple sat signals onto the same cable that both occupy 950-1450 mhz with a diplexer. Further, if you get a high def install with directv now, they'll put in a ka/ku dish which will occupy the 250-750 mhz bands and leave no ability to use a diplexer for ota.

You are posting in both forums, in DISH you say you have decided on DISH here your question is leading toward DISH. Because DISH uses band stacking in the DP line of products you can use a single cable for a dual tuner receiver and a DP separater to feed both tuners. D* dosen't offer that capability with the AT9 dish.

boba said:
You are posting in both forums, in DISH you say you have decided on DISH here your question is leading toward DISH. Because DISH uses band stacking in the DP line of products you can use a single cable for a dual tuner receiver and a DP separater to feed both tuners. D* dosen't offer that capability with the AT9 dish.

I think you meant in this post I was leaning towards 'Directv'. To tell you the truth I am about 85% decided on Dish (I was 99% a couple of weeks ago before all the trouble with TIVO and Locals). The problems I see with dish (which is making me a little more hesitant now) beyond the TIVO and Locals, is that it is going to be more unsightly with two dishes, require more equipment for the two dishes, require a more difficult install. However, if I can get myself past these initial fears (which is what I am trying to do by finding out as much info about the different install options and what one system has over another), then I am still pretty sure that I like the HD options offered by Dish. Hold the phone though.... Now I read that Directv is coming down the pipe with all sorts of MPEG4 offerings. *Sigh* more complications.

So, there you have it. I was and still am leaning towards Dish, but I am not 100% yet. Thanks though, for all the continued help and sorry if I am being wishy-washy. :eek:

-Rob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts