Can I see the 61.5 bird from San Diego?

We are in North County (San Elijo Hills) up on the side of the mountain. I didn't think we were going to clear it, but we did. Great signal, over 100 on several transponders.

The elevation is supposed to be 20 degrees. The guide on the dish isn't very accurate as ours is set at around 30 degrees.

Only took a minute to find it and peak the dish.

The elevation is supposed to be 20 degrees. The guide on the dish isn't very accurate as ours is set at around 30 degrees.
Have you considered that there might be some other possibility for the difference?

Considering that the Point Dish numbers are calculated using solid mathematical formulae that are confirmed by constant field testing by installers, do ya think that maybe your pole mount is just a touch off plumb maybe? :rolleyes:

SimpleSimon said:
Have you considered that there might be some other possibility for the difference?

Considering that the Point Dish numbers are calculated using solid mathematical formulae that are confirmed by constant field testing by installers, do ya think that maybe your pole mount is just a touch off plumb maybe? :rolleyes:

Used a level. Just suggesting that so someone else wouldn't take the guide on the side of the dish as 100% accurate. Maybe I should fly you over here so you can make it perfectly level for us. :D

I have a dish pointed at 148 now for some locals. It is a Dish 500 with just a single LNB on the left side (looking from the back of the dish) How do you find out where to point it at 65.1 with this configuration? All I can find is the settings for a dish 300. My zip is 94551. Any help?

Thanks, Mike

mgs24 said:
I have a dish pointed at 148 now for some locals. It is a Dish 500 with just a single LNB on the left side (looking from the back of the dish) How do you find out where to point it at 65.1 with this configuration? All I can find is the settings for a dish 300. My zip is 94551. Any help?

Thanks, Mike

14 degree elevation & 93 degree azimuth for 94551.

(14 degree elevation & 93 degree azimuth for 94551.)

Thanks for the reply. Those numbers are for a dish 300 setup. Dishnetwork setup my 148 with a dish 500. So I would need to know scew if any and what side the LNB should be on.

When I did ours here in SD, I used the 110 LNB on the 500 and the elevation setting was a little bit higher than what the software said (20 deg, actual close to 30). The guide on the side of the dish isn't that accurate. I thought we were going to have trouble finding it since we are on the west coast, but it was very easy.

No. I left it at 0 for now. I would try adjusting the scew after it is peaked. I've got great signal so I'm not going to bother for now.

larrystotler said:
There is no reason to skew the D500 when pointing at only 1 sat.
Correct, the only reason for DBS skew is to angle multiple LNB's because the adjacent satellites are at slightly different elevations.

But wht I can't find is the numbers i am supposed to use with a Dish 500 looking a the wing sats. Anytime you look up the wing sats it shows the numbers for a dish 300 which would have the lnb in the center rather to the right or left (110-119) position.

Those numbers will get you real close. You'll only be off by a few degrees. The beamwidth on an 18" dish is very wide.

Keep the dish aimed in the general direction and adjust the elevation first up a degree or two at a time and if you don't find it go back to your original elevation and try going down a degree or two. At each elevation go east and west to see if you hit the satellite.

If you have never done this before it's sounds more difficult than it is. My dish is about 8-9 degrees higher than what the program told me for the 300. I'm using a 500 also if that helps.

mgs24 said:
(14 degree elevation & 93 degree azimuth for 94551.)

Thanks for the reply. Those numbers are for a dish 300 setup. Dishnetwork setup my 148 with a dish 500. So I would need to know scew if any and what side the LNB should be on.

It doesn't matter if they use the D500. It still stays at 90degrees. The 500 angles are ONLY for the 110/119. When you use the D500 for anything else(other than Bell ExpressVu's 82/91 in Canada), you do NOT Skew the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)