Can I/(should I) get a 942?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scottabs

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2004
I had my Dish installed last week. I went with 2 811's and a 510 for the DVR. Now I've read a few reviews where people are raving about the 942. Not only from the DVR capabilities, but the superior PQ as compared to the 811.

So, here are my concerns, questions..

- At this point, can I call to swap an 811 for a 942 for the $250 lease option? Since I just had it installed last week, I guess I could call to cancel and resubscribe, but that sounds messy.

- I've heard reports where the 942's are a little more picky on getting the OTA signal than the 811's. Most of my OTA's come in at 60 to 70%, so I'd hate to upgrade, and lose channels.

- Paying $250 to lease an MPEG-2 STB that may be obsolete in the future is a concern also, but I don't think anyone knows how that will turn out at this point.

I'd say that if you've been hooked up over a week, you might as well get used to the 811, unless you want to toss the $699 to buy one. You can try, but I believe they only let the new customers have the lease offer when signing up. If you cancel now, you won't be eligible for new customer status/offers for like, I believe, 6 months.

I'd say stick to the 811 for now. Roomer has it that the all new mpeg4 stb's will be hd capable...this means your 510 may get upgrade to something similar to the 942....very possible...

scottabs said:
- I've heard reports where the 942's are a little more picky on getting the OTA signal than the 811's. Most of my OTA's come in at 60 to 70%, so I'd hate to upgrade, and lose channels.

My 942 is doing great on local stations. It might just be that I have very good signals, though. I am getting 100% strength on many of them. I do have a couple where I am in the 77% area, though, and those seem solid, too. No dropouts or problems.

DWS44 said:
I'd say that if you've been hooked up over a week, you might as well get used to the 811, unless you want to toss the $699 to buy one. You can try, but I believe they only let the new customers have the lease offer when signing up. If you cancel now, you won't be eligible for new customer status/offers for like, I believe, 6 months.

I had a similar situation when I signed-up because I wanted to switch my 322 for a 522. I signed-up through a retailer and, after a conference call with someone from the executive offices, I was told that "ANY" equipment can be swapped out at the customer's request at no extra charge (nothing above what would have been charged if it had been originally installed) within 30 days of a new account activation. Your best bet is to call DISH, immediately ask to speak with someone in the executive offices (don't even waste your time with a CSR) and explain your situation. As a week-old customer, they should be very accomodating. If not, hang up, call again, and speak a different person in the executive offices. They are usually very helpful. My retailer refused to switch out my 322 for a 522 (they said it was against DISH's rules even after DISH told them it wasn't) but after a conference call which I was a part of, the lady ORDERED the retailer to do it or DISH was going to do it for me instead and refuse to pay the retailer for the 322 installation (I think retailers are reimbursed for each receiver they install). My retailer had someone here at 8:30 the next morning. The rule applies (at least, it did last September) to retailer and DISH installations.

No, the 942 is a POS in my opinion. Stick with the 811 until your contract expires. Hopefully Verizon will have FTTP to your area by that time.

942 is great. As for $250 fee. I just consider it as upfront rent fees Cable wants from you every month for DVR. In my case (TWC) it is 8.50 + 5.00 + 0.75 + 8.50 + 0.75 = $23.50 for one HD DVR and one standard HD receiver with remote control fees and DVR fees. With Dish I pay only $5.00 fee for second receiver. So, $250/$18.50 = 14 months. Is is OK if just take into account these calculations. And above all that, 942 is so much better than 811. :D

I was told in my area ( a Verizon service area) that FTTP will not be here for 10 years. What's in your wallet?

yep thats what i was told, i told installer i was gonna see about getting 942 he told me to hold off because the guys from upstairs said when change over to mpeg4 that everyone was going hd and he told me since i already had the dvr they would have to give me receiver for hd and dvr. he said he had bought the 942 and then found out 2 wks later that they were all gonna get changed out free and now he feels like he just lost his $250.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)