Can I split the satellite signal?

smokeshow611

Original poster
May 15, 2006
Hello, I am a loyal Dish customer (I love the Dish!). Started out 5 years ago with DirectTV, then moved to the Dish after 18 months and I would not change a thing! I actually work for the company that provides the equipment that allows EchoStar to insert commercials into the SDI feeds.

Anyway, I have 2 active satellite receivers in house (DishPlayer and a 301). I also have a 4700 that I am looking to hook up in my daughter's room (I will pay the $5 receiver fee, no problem!). I do not want to pay for a service call if it is something that I can easily do, and I was wondering if I can split the signal in my basement to allow for another independent receiver. I have a dual-LNB dish with a switch in the basement...is this possible? I tried a splitter from Radio Shack, but I did not get a satellite signal...

Also, my DishPlayer seems to be having a problem with digital "noise" in the feed. It sort of looks like a genlock sync pulse traversing the screen vertically every 1/2 second or so. Any ideas on what that might be?

Thanks for any help you could give me!:)

WELCOME TO SATGUYS!!!!... No you can not split satellite signal.. each reciver needs its own line to the switch or LNB's (eyes of the dish). The reason for this is because the reciver provides power to the eyes of the dish and a splitter cuts that power. The reciver wouldnt be able to tell the switch hey this program is on this bird, or no the channel is over on that bird, with a splitter because it blocks it.

Edit: sounds like you have two options, Upgrade the dish to a Legacy Quad,

Or, Use a dish pro setup and run a legacy adapter to the 4700, Let us know what type of setup you have :)

Actually there is a supported way to split the dish signal coming from a dish but to do this would require a handfull of feed through's, a handful of power passing splitters, handful of legacy sw-21 switches, and 2 legacy sw-64 switches to acomplish wich all of this could be a bit costly and is rather time consuming to do but does work.

My question for you though is what is the switch in your basement? There should be a label on the face of it that tells you what it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts