Can I still get a 722 (not 722k)?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kstile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2005
My wife decided we need to upgrade to HD in the bedroom so it's time to retire the 508 receiver that's been rock solid (knock on wood) for over 7 years. In looking at the current offerings, I think that my best plan would be to use Dish'n' it Up to get a 722 to replace the 622 on the main TV (more storage) and move the 622 to the bedroom. A few questions/concerns:

1. Other than not having the OTA built-in, what's the difference between the 722k and the 722? I need OTA but the website isn't clear about which I'll get:

HD Satellite Receiver & HD DVR Receiver at DISH Network

says "Duo DVR VIP 722" but the description refers to the 722k.

2. In my promotions area, it distinguishes between a "High Definition DuoDVR Receiver" ($50 + $50 install), a "Enhanced High Definition DuoDVR Receiver" ($75 + $75 install), and a "High Definition Solo DVR Receiver" ($25 install). But the links for each all go to the exact same page so I don't know which is which.

Even though it's not listed anywhere on their site, is the first one a 622? I'm guessing the second is the 722(k?) and the third is the 612. Does that make sense? I'm never going to have any of my DVRs serve multiple rooms. If I'm willing to keep the 622 downstairs, and Dish is willing to install a 612 upstairs for only $25, that's probably what I'd do.

3. Why is the 612 called a "Solo" receiver when it has two tuners?

thanks.

Thanks for the info and the clarifications. It still surprises me a bit that the 622 is available but not actually shown anywhere on Dish's site. For $25, I think I'll get the 612 as 1) I only have one TV upstairs (but the two tuners will be a nice upgrade) and 2) I don't really need the additional storage on my main TV and this way I can hold out for a 922 :).

Regarding my bill, I currently have a fee of $5 for "Solo DVR Receiver" which must be what used to be the "Additional Receiver Fee." Since I would be leasing the 612, I would anticipate the $5 would come off but $7 would be added on as a lease fee + $5.98 as a DVR fee for the 612 (since it's the second DVR on the account). Hence a net increase of $7.98/mo. Does that sound right?

One more question. According to the fine print on the Dish'n'It Up page in my account:

2-TV receivers must be continuously connected to a land-based phone line to waive the $5.00 monthly TV Receiver Connection fee.

Do they really mean 2-TV or do they mean 2 *tuner* ? In other words, does the 612 have to be connected since it's a 1-TV receiver? If they really mean 2-TV, this makes the 612 even more attractive because I don't have an easy way to get a phone or Internet connection to the 612.

thanks.

A 2 tuner needs to be connected whether its to 1 tv or 2. So yes, the 612 would need to be hooked up as well. They should be able to supply you with a phonex kit which easily connects your reciever to the phone. If you have internet they can use a slinglink and hook it to the internet easily as well.

Also other than the OTA there is another difference in the 722 vs the 722K.

The 722 has an S-Video output while the 722k only has composite, component and HDMI.

If S-Video is not an issue then the OTA +/- $30 is the difference as far as I can tell.

The 622 and the 722 are identical in features other than the HD sizes, color and software levels.

Also, KStile is right, the 612 doesn't have an Ethernet port so you need at least a phone line or phone line extender. You can also use Dishcomm and their adapters to setup a Dishcomm network between the 612 to one of your others that have Ethernet or a phone connection.

A 2 tuner needs to be connected whether its to 1 tv or 2. So yes, the 612 would need to be hooked up as well. They should be able to supply you with a phonex kit which easily connects your reciever to the phone. If you have internet they can use a slinglink and hook it to the internet easily as well.

Will the installer provide either of those at no charge, i.e. as part of the $25 install?

Also, KStile is right, the 612 doesn't have an Ethernet port so you need at least a phone line or phone line extender. You can also use Dishcomm and their adapters to setup a Dishcomm network between the 612 to one of your others that have Ethernet or a phone connection.

Actually, I didn't say that and, in fact, it does:

Tech Portal : 612

Good point.

If you don't have a phone close by and it need to be connected to a phone.. Humm Maybe an installer can respond.

I know that if you order a 3rd DVR (I just did) and you have the 3 LNB 1000 dish they will provide the switch for free because the original installer only ran a twin coax to the house. So they either have to run the 3rd coax (lots of work and no guarentee that I won't want a 4th receiver) or just supply the DP44(?? I think) switch that allows the 2 in 4 out capability.

That's what's happening this Friday as I found out that there was a totally free upgrade on my old 510 to the Solo 612. I even got it when I reset my programming to AEP + HD. So I dropped 120/yr and got a free DVR as well including free installation! The gods were smiling when I got that particular CSR.

So if they supply a switch and or run a whole cable, it makes sense that they would supply the phone extender but I can't be definitive on that one.

No, the 612 does not require a phone (or internet) connection. Dish considers a 612 a "solo" receiver. Only the "Duo" receivers need the phone connection.
This is per the DHA agreement.

Humm, if there is no phone or ethernet connection then how does Dish know or allow you to user PPV or Dish on Demand shows? Unless the VIP612 doesn't allow you to play PPV or DoD (a bad marketing idea by E*) then they need some return path to tell them you rented the movie. Either that or you have to go online and pre-order every pay per view.

Humm, if there is no phone or ethernet connection then how does Dish know or allow you to user PPV or Dish on Demand shows? Unless the VIP612 doesn't allow you to play PPV or DoD (a bad marketing idea by E*) then they need some return path to tell them you rented the movie. Either that or you have to go online and pre-order every pay per view.

You got it. If you don't have the box connected to a phone line or broadband internet connection, then you are not permitted to purchase PPV, etc. from the remote. You have to call in or order via internet. If memory serves, it costs $1 extra if you order by phone.

Dish is not going to allow folks to watch PPV, etc. without a way for the box to report those purchases. You can't really blame Dish.

Thanks, I knew something didn't smell right about not having to have a phone or ethernet connection on a 612. In fact, using that logic, you don't have to have one on any of their receivers. You just can't watch PPV.

Not having access to PPV is just fine with me; I'm just glad that I won't have to a) figure out a way to hook it up to landline/Internet or b) pay the $5.00 no-phone-connected charge.

Interesting, if you don't connect it to a link then they charge you about the same amount per month if you rented a PPV every month. :confused:

Humm, on this one, someone had their lights on in marketing! :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts