Can I still use my voom OTA with DishNet? If so HOW?

ryounglaw

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2005
I just got DishNet after the surprise of losing voom. Now, I am looking for a new OTA to get my locals in high def. The question is – can I still hook up the voom OTA with my new dish? I am a novice at this and I am not sure I want to deal with it. :confused: Can anyone let me know if it’s possible to hook up the OTA and if so how to do it. I have tried some indoor models and I found one that works the Winegard ss3000 (its great). However, it’s an eyesore. I would like to use the outdoor OTA if at all possible.

Thanks,
Ryan

i am in the same boat as you are the ota works great with the rec. and my ota is not amplified, just looks like a pair of airplane wings spread out, but when i hook it up to the 811 rec it doesnt find any channels at all, i went to wally world and bought an amplified booster where you have 1 input coming in from the ota and 2 outputs coming out, it costs 36.00 so tommorrow the field rep from my sat service that did the install is coming out again for the 3rd time and tell me what i need to get it to work, i know different ones on here try to tell me that my ota from voom is amplified but there is no power going to it all, it just plugs 1 cable into the diplexer on the rear of the stb and thats it, so i think the the thing i bought at wally world was a waste of money, and radio shack told me that they dont sell power boosters anymore for the ota antennas

but there is no power going to it all, it just plugs 1 cable into the diplexer on the rear of the stb and thats it, so i think the the thing i bought at wally world was a waste of money, and radio shack told me that they dont sell power boosters anymore for the ota antennas
And on the diplexer, it is split to the antenna in and satellite in on the back of the receiver. The receiver sends voltage through the satellite in conncection up the cable to the multi-switch. Then the voltage is passed through the antenna input on the multi-switch up to the antenna. Thus it is powered. 12 volts to be exact.

i'm getting dish network on friday 4/29 and i'm worry about losing my local hd channels. Will the installer know how to connect the ota antenna from the voom satellite cabling system to their satellite cabling system. Do i need to buy the power supply in advance or don't you think i need one. also, i was looking at the diplexer/multiswitch, it has the satellite feed and antenna feed combined into 1 coax cable connected to the back voom receivers, do u think i need buy another diplexer so i can diplex it back to two cables: 1 for the satellite and 1 for the antenna on the back of dish 811 receiver. Will this work?

ryounglaw said:
I just got DishNet after the surprise of losing voom. Now, I am looking for a new OTA to get my locals in high def. The question is – can I still hook up the voom OTA with my new dish? I am a novice at this and I am not sure I want to deal with it. :confused: Can anyone let me know if it’s possible to hook up the OTA and if so how to do it. I have tried some indoor models and I found one that works the Winegard ss3000 (its great). However, it’s an eyesore. I would like to use the outdoor OTA if at all possible.

Thanks,
Ryan

why didn't the installer do it for you?

i did not ask him - i didn't think he would run the OTA too. I thought the install was only for dishnet

If they would run this through a combiner and than a diplexer behind you reciever it should work. that will send voltage back to you antenna or if you ahave a separte line you will have to put it on a power supply amp than it will work.

t

I just checked - the dish goes into a multiswitch and then into the house/tv. where does the OTA go in. The multi doesn't seem to have a OTA connect. I figured I will put the diplexer on the out cable. Then once the cable is in the house split it with another diplexer. is that going to work and doe I need to amp the OTA. If I do that then I should run another cable and not use a diplexer.

Ryan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts