Can I subscribe a 2800 and a 3900?

realbigmike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
north america
Hi guys, nobody has been talking about these for years but I would like to know if I can start a basic subscription with a model 2800 and a 3900 that I got for free :D ?

Technically yes, but there are many reasons it may not work, first among them is what Dish you have, what ARC you have to use, and getting a smart card....... I would say free or not, it might not be worth the hassle and could cost you more in getting the right equipment than getting a new receiver.

GO for it if you are on the Western Arc. If you are on the Eastern Arc it requires MPEG4 receivers and they won't work. Once you have an active account DISH will upgrade those receivers as they upgrade their system to non compatible technology.

The big question is why would you activate with antique equipment instead of new equipment? As a new customer you would get new leased equipment that won't cost you any more than the owned equipment.

no commitment

Right!!! I brought an old 2700 out of retirement right before the last election for this very reason. Dish didn't give me any guff over it either. They were more than happy to send me a new (free) access card & start taking my money. :)

Around Christmas time, we decided we liked the service enough to buy a new 211k (& later a 1000.2) off of the flea. We added HD For Life after putting up the new dish.

The point is... the old receiver let us get up & running while we decided what to do. Since I already had an old receiver & dish, Charlie was smart to encourage activating them. In the end, it paid off for all parties.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers above guys, you answered the hell out of my Q except for 1 thing . .

I say that since the 2800/3900 are about to be discontinued, just don't even bother. But that's just me.

I have been searching for info on this, I read that Dish is switching to mpeg-4 only. Is that correct? Any time estimates, eg.. 2012?

Thanks for the answers above guys, you answered the hell out of my Q except for 1 thing . .
I have been searching for info on this, I read that Dish is switching to MPEG-4 only. Is that correct? Any time estimates, eg.. 2012?
Dish network has already started switching to MPEG-4 only for all our eastern arc installations. If you are looking to do a western arc then the 2800/3900 receiver can be connected. It may need to get an updated smart card for programming authorization. There is no time frame right now for switching WA installs to MPEG-4, to much MPEG-2 equipment still in customer's home.

Yes it will work, and yes it can be activated as a new account.

Only issue I can see is that when you go to activate it, some dumb csr is going to tell you it can't be activated and give you a hard time. You'll eventually get it activated, but it will take an hour before you finally get transferred to an agent who will be able to do it.

Yes it will work, and yes it can be activated as a new account.

Only issue I can see is that when you go to activate it, some dumb csr is going to tell you it can't be activated and give you a hard time. You'll eventually get it activated, but it will take an hour before you finally get transferred to an agent who will be able to do it.
Or just contact one of us here at DIRT and we can get that set-up for you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts