Can I suspend service except for networks this summer?

SlackerInc

Original poster
Nov 29, 2006
I know (or at least have heard) there is a "vacation mode" for suspending service for a couple months. But I would still like my DISH DVR to record a couple shows that are on CBS and NBC, the two distant networks I now receive through the independent company since DISH is legally enjoined from offering them any more. (Yup, I'm way out in the sticks and am one of the people who was legitimately getting those networks and was getting fairly stressed out last December until they figured out this loophole.)

I know that when those networks were still part of DISH proper, you couldn't get them without getting a basic package of cable stations as well. But now that it's an (at least nominally) independent service that I'm billed for separately, wouldn't they still have to provide me service even if the other channels were suspended?

This may be unexplored territory as there surely aren't a huge number of people with this issue...but feel free to speculate. :)

I would expect you could suspend Dish and keep the other company's service.

So I look forward to your posting if it's so.

If you receive the distant nets through NPS you should be able to keep them and still drop DIsh down to "vacation mode" since NPS is a different company than Dish :)

The question is do you got leased equipment on the account?

If its leased equipment then you would need to either downgrade to DISH Family + Locals, or go on seasonal downgrade and pay $10/mo. You can't get "Just locals" with leased equipment.

If its owned equipment, you can do whatever you want :)

boy there is a productive answer. At least you vcould help instead of posting crap like that.
Girl, I never been in such position and never saw any posts about it - that's why I want to hear from first hands.
Why you intercept, I don't know. It was humiliating to me get such [Mods] comments. :mad:

Girl, I never been in such position and never saw any posts about it - that's why I want to hear from first hands.
The OP was asking a simple question and was looking here for advice. Your post pretty much told him to make some calls and tell us what happened.

Why you intercept, I don't know. It was humiliating to me get such [Mods] comments. :mad:

eh, you've said things like that before. Most of us are here to help the newbies and not post things like "use a search" (hmmm...you like to post that alot).

"post things like "use a search" (hmmm...you like to post that alot)."

That's my way to learn and it works well in past and current century for majority of ppl who is firstcommers. Nothing wrong in the advise.
If you have different approach ( spoonfeeding ppl ) that's yours opinion and God speed for you to spend your own time to retype again and again same things.
BTW, it was main idea of inventing hypertext - provide links and make search for info easy in the ocean of knowledge in Internet publications.
Perhaps we are different - you and myself. No need to pinch each other without reasons in public . We can coexist without sparks.

yep. I'd rather help people with their issues instead of using the old "use the search" cop out like other sites use. I have no issues answering the same question for new people because things change in this ever changing world of satellite.

Helping a newbie with their question shows that some of us care. Posting "use the search feature" pretty much gives newbies the idea that we don't want to deal with them and that's not me.

I'm here to help :)

The OP was asking a simple question and was looking here for advice. Your post pretty much told him to make some calls and tell us what happened.
And two days later, we still don't know..... Could he have called Dish from the get-go and gotten an answer in 5-10 minutes ?? I suspect so.....

It always boggles me when people ask questions that are often best answered by the company (semi-)officially vs asking in some unofficial internet forum. I see it all the time and more often than not, my answer is the same as P Smith's, call the company directly and ask.

I had a similar issue a couple of months back but simply paid the $6 fee to not have a "basic" package. Of course, I kept all my locals (at the time Atlanta and Los Angeles) and had the Encore movie package.

It's so crazy, but I could almost do the same thing again (while keeping the San Francisco networks from NPS) and be happy. Of course, I'd want to keep WWOR and WPIX (so I'd have an option other than just the Braves).

Hmm... I'm thinking out loud....

Cade

The question is do you got leased equipment on the account?

If its leased equipment then you would need to either downgrade to DISH Family + Locals, or go on seasonal downgrade and pay $10/mo. You can't get "Just locals" with leased equipment.

If its owned equipment, you can do whatever you want :)

And two days later, we still don't know..... Could he have called Dish from the get-go and gotten an answer in 5-10 minutes ?? I suspect so.....

It always boggles me when people ask questions that are often best answered by the company (semi-)officially vs asking in some unofficial internet forum. I see it all the time and more often than not, my answer is the same as P Smith's, call the company directly and ask.

See post number seven wich I have quoted along with yours.

Have you ever called up a cable/dbs/cellular/telco provider and gotten the answer you were looking for? I have but mostly with comcast and wide open west cable and sprint where as Im in hell with charter cable right now over 5 months of cant get their sh*t right issues and theres no other cable provider for me to go with so Im stuck.

They (All American Direct) don't charge any extra due to having more than one receiver -- which I think is kind of cool. They simply require the receiver and smart card numbers. In fact, the third receiver in my house only has programming from AAD.

Cade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts