Can I transfer a recording from my DVR to my iPhone?

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I have a VIP 722k receiver with a Slingbox but my 3G connection at work is terrible.

Can I transfer the recordings to my iPhone so I can actually watch them at work?

I've heard a rumor saying this feature is coming but I doubt it will be anytime soon... :(

I haven't heard anything like that, but it's highly unlikely. They currently do not allow anything to be transferred off the Dish box (even with an external HDD, the files are special Dish files, nothing you can use). If you put them on your iphone, then it has to be in a suitable format - which would then allow you just to transfer it to your PC. Whole big can of worms in terms of copyright stuff.

Got Wi-Fi @ work? That's probably your best option

They let you transfer SD stuff to select Archos portable media players...

Dish has been trying to make it possible to transfer media from the DVR to an iPad. When I talked to a rep at Team Summit they said they were having copyright issues yet. They originally announced that they were working on this concept at Team Summit in 2010.

Based on the past, I'm going to actually say, maybe yes. It would not surprise me to see some avenue to watch at least certain HD recorded shows on another medium. I can't say it will be on an Iphone for sure, but the concept I am betting is being worked on.

I have a Sling Adapter hooked up to my 722 but I'd much rather have the option to "move" a recording from my 722 to my iPad/iPhone. Didn't DirecTV just release a box that does this exact thing?

News to me! That definately would be great if any of this happens. Hell - that might even make an iPad worth the cost if I could use it as a portable media player (got an HP Touchpad, and an iPhone - so currently an iPad has no meaning to me)

I have an old Archos that used to work with Dish but not since the VIP receivers were introduced. The only way I have found to record to an iPad (and I imagine it's the same for iPhone) is using a Monsoon or Elgato product:

Monsoon Multimedia Vulkano - Your TV anywhere on iPhone/iPad
Elgato products

I have the Monsoon Lava which is $100 and it works but not as elegantly as could be. It basically allows you to stream programs to your computer and/or iPad and record it real time. They have an app for computer and iPad that facilitates this. Again it's a bit of a PITA to use, but it's the only way I've found that works. The ultimate would be a Dish/Sling solution (which Scott hinted is in the works in another thread).

Other than the Monsoon thing which I hadn't heard of before, the only other way I know of is the slow painful method.

- playback the event in real time to a DVD recorder connected to the video/audio outputs of your DVR
- Use DVD ripping software and MP4 conversion software to produce file(s) that you can drag into iTunes
- sync the files to the device
- optional: archive the DVD copies, or reuse if you used the erasable ones

Last edited:
Other than the Monsoon thing which I hadn't heard of before, the only other way I know of is the slow painful method.
I have a Monsoon Platinum HD (which BTW is HD only on input), and I'm pretty sure the newer product works the same way. It's the slow and painful method of real time analog capture/conversion/streaming that the old Slingbox did. Except that the stream is not encrypted and Monsoon makes it easy to record the stream. In my case, I get pretty decent DVD quality mpeg-2. Conversion to iPad format would probably also be necessary, or can iPads play mpeg-2 these days?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)