can I turn my 129 into 61.5?

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I have 2 dish 500's 1 for 110 and 119 and 1 for just 129. I got the info for the the adjustments to change the direction, elv, az, and skew on my dish 500 with just 129 on it to make it work on 61.5. is that all there is to do or do I need a different transponder? If I can make this into 61.5 do I just go into point dish and select 61.5 to fine tune it and lock in? thanks for any help

Pretty much that is all you need. The skew for a Dish 500 aimed at only 1 sat should be 0 (or 90) that is the arm flat, but as you indicate, the Az and El change.

After swinging over the dish, the signal meter on your receiver will probably say "Wrong Satellite, 61.5." Once you get a good signal reading, run a check switch. Almost all the transponders are active on 61.5, so you should be able to pick just about any one to aim with, although there is usually 1 or 2 to best aim with (I can't remember off hand).

After you swing your 129 over to the 61.5, you'll have to refresh your CHECKSWITCH matrix. Assuming you aimed it properly, everything should be fine after your program guide downloads and updates.

another question , the skew angle says -35.8 but there isn't any minus range on the dish scale, what would that transfer to ? thanks

Where are you seeing a Skew Angle? As previously stated, a D500 with a single lnb point at a single sat should have no skew.

He probably pulled the angles off of a website such as satsig.net or any of the online calculators. All of those sites tend to list skew angles for satellites because they assume an H/V polarization. However, since DISH uses circular polarization, no skew is necessary to pick up a satellite signal. OP is advised to just enter his zip code on the satellite receiver's point dish screen and just switch to 61.5 on there and it should give him correct settings from the box.

DISH considers a 70 to be passing. Anything beyond that will be gravy for those times when harsh rain cuts into part of the signal, causing it to drop some. Just move a little left and a little right and get as much as you can. Then, a little up and a little down. I don't expect much more than what you have there. Also, it varies depending on the transponder you are on. Try a different transponder and you'll see a much different reading.

what receiver and what TP are you checking signal with?

722 and tp 14, I did a check switch and it came back saying I had fewer sats than before so I saved and ran it again came back the same. the no 2 slot has no sat but says com x dual in the slots. what am I missing? thanks

722 and tp 14, I did a check switch and it came back saying I had fewer sats than before so I saved and ran it again came back the same. the no 2 slot has no sat but says com x dual in the slots. what am I missing? thanks

Post the full matrix.

conn | conn | conn
x | x | x
DPP | DPP |DPDUAL

when I hit details after check switch it will say
"port 3 dp dual good connection,No signal" on both tuners. I also noticed that in the point dish screen it does not give the az, el, and sk #'s for my 500 but it will if I set it to 300. also it says at the top enter your zip code for 110 and 119 only so my question now is the 61.5 available to me now or will it be in june? I'm getting a locked signal at 70+ but wrong sat on transponders 8,6,16,14,12,10,9,4 and some around 25. I just can't get 61.5 to display anywhere, anybody have any ideas what's wrong?

When you enter your zip code and change the dish type to 300 and the satellite to 61.5, it should give you settings for 61.5. Now, if you have the yoke on your dish that can accommodate a twin, your azimuth settings will be off about 5 degrees. The fact that the matrix says conn x dual shows that you are getting a connection all the way to the LNB, you simply aren't pointed at the 61.5.

If you are getting signal lock on just the even transponders but it says wrong satellite, I would venture a guess that you are pointed at DirecTV 1R at 72.5 degrees. Try lowering the elevation a few degrees and panning further east. If you post your ZIP code here, we can give you correct settings.

When you enter your zip code and change the dish type to 300 and the satellite to 61.5, it should give you settings for 61.5. Now, if you have the yoke on your dish that can accommodate a twin, your azimuth settings will be off about 5 degrees. The fact that the matrix says conn x dual shows that you are getting a connection all the way to the LNB, you simply aren't pointed at the 61.5.

If you are getting signal lock on just the even transponders but it says wrong satellite, I would venture a guess that you are pointed at DirecTV 1R at 72.5 degrees. Try lowering the elevation a few degrees and panning further east. If you post your ZIP code here, we can give you correct settings.
yes I have a twin but with 1 lnb, I thought that might be it. I have a single that I can try but it may be bad, it was changed by the tech. my zip is 32547 so I will try to readjust first. thanks again

When you enter your zip code and change the dish type to 300 and the satellite to 61.5, it should give you settings for 61.5. Now, if you have the yoke on your dish that can accommodate a twin, your azimuth settings will be off about 5 degrees. .

I was under the impression that a DP Twin would not work to pick up 61.5. So, going by your post, it will work as long as i move my dish 500 five degrees east of what the coordinates would be if using a DP dual LNB?

I ask this because I have a twin and would like to avoid ordering a dual LNB, if possible.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)