Can I use a CorotorPak on a Fortec FS6D w/ Polar Mount?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gooch

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Central NJ
I am considering replacing my Orbitron S 8.5 mesh dish polar mount with a Fortec Star FS6D polar mount. Photos attached show (1) the current condition of the damaged mesh dish, (2) Chaparral CorotorPak (the original (1994), not series II), (3) base of the LNA Cover and (4) Current SuperJack II 18" actuator.

I installed this myself in 1995 so I am familiar with the process and have all of the original documentation but have the following questions:

1. Will I have any problem re-using the CorotorPak? The only difference I can see between the Orbitron and the Fortec is that the Orbitron has 4 Feedhorn supporting rods while the Fortec has only 3. The scalar ring on the CorotorPak has 12 holes so I assume it should work okay.

2. I plan to re-use a SuperJack II 18" actuator. Any problems doing that?

3. The base of the existing plastic LNA cover has 4 holes. I assume I can drill three new holes to match up with the Fortec and seal the other 4 holes to keep out the wasps.

4. Anybody know what kind of documentation comes with the Fortec FS6D? With the Orbitron I received a 12 page pamphlet that covered everything from mechanical assembly to setting up the actuator, adjusting declination, electronics hookup, alignment, fine tuning, etc. The only thing I can find from Fortec is a one page PDF which shows a diagram of the assembled dish and list of the parts. It is labeled FC06-P. If that's all that is available, it doesn't give me great faith in the product.

Attachments

• PICT0019.jpg
    PICT0019.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 240
  • PICT0015.jpg
    PICT0015.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 201
  • PICT0017.jpg
    PICT0017.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 184
  • PICT0020edited.jpg
    PICT0020edited.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 211
the good, the bad, and the ugly:

I haven't seen any more documentation on the Fortec 6' dish than the exploded view sheet you mentioned.
Sadoun would know and have it, if more exists.
Or check our documentation area of the forum if you want to be proactive.
FTA Manuals

On the plus side, setting up the dish shouldn't be much of a challenge, especially if you have done one before.
The Geo Orbit web site has all the basics.

As long as you get the Fortec model with the Polar mount, your motor should handle the job.

I see no reason your existing scalar, feedhorn, and LNB shouldn't bolt right on.
I can't say for the LNB cover. Lots of guys run without.
And, I've seen creative covers made from cut-down 5 gallon buckets and smaller ones.

Are you certain a 6' dish will do what you want?
If you have the room, I'd think you might find a freebie 8' BUD, assembled, and with feedhorn and motor.
Of course, if you don't have the room (maybe you moved?), then that might be a concern.

Either way, your friends here on the forum will be able to help you over any rough spots, if they come up. - :up

edit: oh, yea, and as to the ugly, that old dish is sure in sad shape!
Thanks for the laugh. :)

Are you certain a 6' dish will do what you want?
If you have the room, I'd think you might find a freebie 8' BUD, assembled, and with feedhorn and motor.
Of course, if you don't have the room (maybe you moved?), then that might be a concern.

Year's ago I used it a lot before I switched to DISH but now it will just be the occasional FTA with my Pansat 2300. I also like to get the OSU football marching band at half time on a ABC backhaul. So I figure 6 foot is enough for that.

Glad you enjoyed the picture :)

I think the corotor you have should work fine. The 6' Fortec only has basic assembly instructions with it.
The actuator you have should work fine but for only a few bucks more you can buy the complete set up from Sadoun including the dish, actuator, Vbox positioner and CK1 LNBF.
The only issue you may have is the polar mount on the 6' Fortec takes a 3 1/4" pole. I am yet to see any that is 3 1/4. 3" inside is 3 1/2 od.

Swamp_Rat;1814279. said:
The only issue you may have is the polar mount on the 6' Fortec takes a 3 1/4" pole. I am yet to see any that is 3 1/4. 3" inside is 3 1/2 od.

I have a standard schedule 40 pipe which has 3 1/2 od. If the inside diameter of the Fortec polar mount is only 3 1/4, then it won't work unless the plumbing supply house has an adapter.

Last edited:
The LNB & Scaler ring will work fine on the 6 footer. I've used the older style LNB's on my 6 footer with no issues

Thanks for the reply. It looks like I can drop a Schedule 40 2 1/2 inch pipe inside my existing 3 inch pipe and mount the polar mount on the 2 1/2. Just have to figure out how to clamp the 2 1/2 to the 3". Maybe drop some cement down there.

Before you spend the money, just get confirmation that what you want to see can be viewed on a 6' dish.
And, as we go forward, and the broadcasters move to higher performance encoders, the day of the small dish will dwindle.
Some amateurs even have trouble with bigger dishes, now.

It started with a tree limb and then, while I had it pointed down for repair, the lawn guy ran into it. The frame of the lawn mower hooked the Perimeter Edge Trim and he did a number on it. Had I pointed the dish back up in the air, he would have missed it.

It started with a tree limb and then, while I had it pointed down for repair, the lawn guy ran into it. The frame of the lawn mower hooked the Perimeter Edge Trim and he did a number on it. Had I pointed the dish back up in the air, he would have missed it.
OUCH! :eek: :(

The lawn guy has a sun shade on his mower and, while I did not witness it, I believe the sunshade caught the lower part of the dish as he drove under it.

Attachments

• Mowerzm74262_cooltop_191811_sm.jpg
    Mowerzm74262_cooltop_191811_sm.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 220
The lawn guy has a sun shade on his mower and, while I did not witness it, I believe the sunshade caught the lower part of the dish as he drove under it.
Probably did. Whenever I'm outside mowing near my 10ft, I'll holler
"G19 please!!!!" to my wife, and she'll go inside and move it for me.:)

Probably did. Whenever I'm outside mowing near my 10ft, I'll holler
"G19 please!!!!" to my wife, and she'll go inside and move it for me.:)

That's where I normally park it but on this day I had it pointed at AMC7. I should have returned it to G19 before the lawn guy arrived but I did not. My bad. When it points to G19, he would drive right under it with no problem

That's a museum quality sculpture! Take it to a art gallery in New York City.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts