can I use a DirecPC / DirecDuo 3lnb satellite for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lxzndr

Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Hi...

I have a DirecPC dish, actually it is a duo dish (very oblong) with 3 lnbs on it. Can I use this for Mpeg2/FTA? if so, what do I need to use it, and what are my satellite options with it? I know I would need a receiver, but do I need to replace the LNBs?

I never had DirecTV so don't have a dTV receiver, I had DirecPC for about a year before moving and getting DSL. (I still have the DirecPC usb modem and install CD if anyone is interested)

Also, are ToonDisney, HBO 2, HBO signature really FTA?
http://www.lyngsat.com/echo3.html

Thanks,
Mike

I know PSB uses a DirectPC dish and they work.

The stuff on Echo 3 are test channels. I dont know if they are still active or not (havent been over there in a while)

YES! I use two of them for FTA, I also have the double LNB, one is a dual DirecTV LNB and the other is a single KU band LNBF, so it can be used for both KU and DBS satellites, great signals from these DirecPC dish.
I use mine mainly for the extream ends of the Clarke Belt hence they are upside down, plus they look better that way : )

Attachments

• Pict0005.JPG
    Pict0005.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 552
I currently use the one-way DirecWay service but am thinking of dropping it. My dish is currently pointed at 99W. Will the DirecWay Ku lnb pick up anything FTA? If I replace the DirecWay LNB with a standard Ku LNB, how is it attached to the arm?

Yes its just a standard Ku LNBF that DirecPC use, but there is nothing FTA on G4R 99w. right now, so you would have to move your dish just a fraction left or right to pick up some FTA, I would move your dish 2 deg. to the left (from behind dish) to pick up the IA5 satellite, it has hundreds of free international channels, a great place to start!.
If you want to pick up legal FTA channels from the DBS satellites then you will need a DBS LNB, you can simply zip tie this to the KU LNBF or there is a dual LNB bracket available that could be "rigged" to work, I would make my own.

I tried hooking the feed up to my new Pansat 2500A but it didn't register anything. Should I have seen anything? Maybe I just don't know how to work the new pansat yet. After a few minutes I just assumed the LNB was not compatible and hooked it back up to the direcway modem. If I will be able to use this LNB, how hard is it to motorize this dish? My wife is Chinese and would love to get some free Chinese programming.

If you aim it at G3 (95) there is
CCTV4 & CCTV9

Otherise, IA5 (97) has tons of international programming

flinchum said:
I currently use the one-way DirecWay service but am thinking of dropping it. My dish is currently pointed at 99W. Will the DirecWay Ku lnb pick up anything FTA? If I replace the DirecWay LNB with a standard Ku LNB, how is it attached to the arm?

The Directway will pick up FTA. However, there is nothing at 99W that you can get with a DVB receiver. Need to move the dish

I would further invest in a motor, a Ku LNBF and a 30" dish, your wife will be very happy with all the FTA Chinese channels up there, as Tony said its worth it alone for the two Chinese channels on the G3C satellite ( 4 deg. to left from behind dish), one is in English and its like the Chinese's version of CNN international, some great stuff there especially over the recent Chinese new year!

So then the only thing I would need is a FTA receiver, such as the pansat 2500a that is all over e-bay? plus wiring and getting it properly aimed.

Depending on the receievr, you can spend $60 up to $500 for a receiver

The Pansats and Satworks are the 2 big names out there

Also forgot about the Chinese channels on Galaxy 13 (127). The ones that just moved from either IA5 or AMC4.

directv 3lnb dish

Hi Folks!

I also have one of those DirecTV oval dishes with the 3 lnbs on it and skew adjustments. It has a builtin switcher for DirecTv. I hooked it up tonight straight through to my Nexus DVB card but I cannot get a signal from it. I tried Progfinder program and at one point I got a 49 on the strength and 0 quality.

My satellite signal meter goes off the scale the signal is so strong. But I only have one lnb connected at the moment. I'll try again tomorrow when I can see what I am doing.

I just wanted to see if I can successfully use the dish so I can get the free stuff off both 110 and 119.

Thanks.

MrM

The above member has a DirecPC dish, you are talking a DirecTV Phase III dish, this dish has an internal switch as you mentioned and so it acts as a single dish, it defaults to the 101 LNB that the far right LNB from behind the dish. But should work for one DBS satellite at a time!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts