Can I use a DVD recorder?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

needshelp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Blair, Nebraska, United States
I am considering getting Direct TV (or otherprovider like Glorystar), but want to know if I can use my DVD player/recorder on at least one of my TVs? I am primary interested in Christian TV stations.

Just connect the DVD to one of the inputs on your tv and one of the outputs of your DVR to the input of the DVD. Select the tv input that the DVD is connected to and you can watch a DVD or record a program that is playing on the DVR. You can not record one show and watch a different one on that DVR at the same time.

Thank you for the welcome! This site is AWESOME!

What service do you have, rey_1178?

Double checking - I can use a DVD player/recorder and don't need a DVR?
Are there any services that don't allow recording? Will any not allow it in the near future?
Sky Angel is saying this is the case.

Thank you, ClemSole! I'll need that info.

Do ALL DVRs have outputs to hook my DVD player to?
Do I have to get the DVRs from the service provider or is it a good idea or what?
I have heard that a Vulcano is superior because you can do things like record off of the internet. Is that's what is called "live streaming"? (Ex: God TV has a live feed.)

Thank you for the welcome! This site is AWESOME!

What service do you have, rey_1178?

Double checking - I can use a DVD player/recorder and don't need a DVR?
Are there any services that don't allow recording? Will any not allow it in the near future?
Sky Angel is saying this is the case.
I have directv. You can record from a regular receiver yes. When connected via composite or component you usually will not encounter any issues recording whatever program you're watching.

Recording on Direct TV: I just got off the phone with an installer. I hope I remember this accurately.

He told me that, in order to record a show directly to DVD, I would have to set the receiver to the correct station in advance.
Alternatively, I could record to the DVR and then transfere the show to DVD while playing the DVR.

Is this what anyone else has experienced?

p.s. - Thank you for your responses.

That is correct. I rather dvr whatever it is I'm going to record. That way I can take my time to pass it onto a DVD. Of course it depends if what was recorded will expire soon. That would apply to anything on demand. also I believe ppv's expire in 24 hours. But I'm not sure how legal it is if it's legal at all to make a copy for yourself of a ppv.

I use mine all the time. I run my D* receiver's HDMI to my amp(along with my DVD recorder HDMI out to my amp) and then run S-Video/Audio to my DVD recorder from HR24 and it works great.

Recording on Direct TV: I just got off the phone with an installer. I hope I remember this accurately.

He told me that, in order to record a show directly to DVD, I would have to set the receiver to the correct station in advance.
Alternatively, I could record to the DVR and then transfere the show to DVD while playing the DVR.

Is this what anyone else has experienced?

p.s. - Thank you for your responses.

If you use a receiver/HD receiver,it has what's called "Autotune." You could set whatever program you want to record with Autotune for the time,channel,& duration of whatever you want to record,& then time it with your DVD recorder.

What DVD recorder do you have? I'm looking for one. Thanks.
Toshiba DR-7. I know there is a newer model out mine is about 2 years old. I like the Toshiba's because it has the option to record in 16X9 where as my other 2 Pioneer Elite's do not so if i record a show on a HD channel and watch it on a 4:3 tv it looks funny.

Actually the way I get around that is I start playing the show I want to record and the "Your TV or cables are not HD" message only stays on the screen for 10 sec then I use the skip back button which does not produce that annoying message and start recording. As long as I use the skip back & forward buttons to skip thru the commercials it works great.

[h=6]I was wondering Why I can't transfer my recorded programs from the receiver to my computer so I can watch them on my Computer. Also, when I convert a video on the computer to .TS/mpeg-2 file it doesn't work with Geosat Pro, and it should work, it did work with my other receiver but not with this one. Why is that and will you be fixing that soon. It cost me a lot of money to get this and for it not to work like this is ridiculous, especially when other receivers that cost less is able to do what I like it to do.[/h]

I have my DVD recorder hooked up to my DVR but whenever I press the record button on my DVD recorder I get some faint but noticeable black horizontal lines. Any suggestions??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts