Can I use a sling device on a 722 to send signal to TV in other rooms?

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I just moved a TV to the bedroom and can use the coax cable to get signal to it from the 722 located 2 rooms off.

Problem is that the TV is 65" and the SD quality picture sucks.

I already have the 722 hooked up to the home network going through a wired home network going through a switch and then to the router. The TV is a Panasonic 65VT50 and is located 2 rooms away but does have network access as its about 6 ft from the router.

I'm trying to figure out if there is someway to use the sling tech to input the signal into the TV probably through its smart hub. Just don't know if this will work.

I have thought about pulling up programming on the desktop computer next to the TV and set up the 65" TV as a monitor. Would rather not go this route if I don't have to.

The only way to do it right is to put an HD receiver there. You have a very nice TV that I'm sure you spent good money on, make sure you put a nice picture on it. You could sling programming there but you would need a laptop there connected to it and it would be dependent on your internet.

Easiest way of course is another HD receiver, but you can also use Ipad and apple tv with airplay, use the tv as monitor with computer, use android tablet connected to tv via hdmi. I used to use my Toshiba Thrive Android tablet connected via an hdmi cable to use dishanywhere app on tv at our other homes. It works fine as long as dishanywhere is working and you have a decent internet connection.

Actually a few months ago I bought a Slingbox 350 because I already had a couple of WDTV Live streaming media boxes. They have a sling app built in, so now I can sling from my 722 around the house on my internal network in HD to these boxes and I can also Sling to the WDTV boxes at my lake house and our condo in Las Vegas. No more fooling with the tablet or dishanywhere. I already had the wdtv boxes so my only cost was the Slingbox 350, however in my situation, I really didn't want to keep dragging another receiver with me when traveling for the weekend or a month in Vegas. 722 and 211K work for our 2 main tv's with the 722 in single mode distributed via coax to other less used tv's and the added Sling is great for the TV's I do occasionally want HD on via the WDTV boxes. These boxes work great on both internal home networks and externally via the internet.

The slingbox 350 has an IR blaster/emitter and I use the WD remote when at lake or Las Vegas, around the house I have several UHF Pro remotes for the 722, so I just use them. It takes a few seconds for the remote commands to appear on the tv because the changes have to take place and then be streamed to the WDTV box. Using the WDTV remote is fine once you get used to what buttons to use. It's a little more cumbersome because of the delay waiting for the changes to be streamed, but the picture quality is great and worth the minor inconvenience. I own my company and work from home 95% of the time. I've been in my office since about 11am this morning and just now finishing last file and I have had the 722 being streamed over my internal network to the wdtv live in my office all day and not a single problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)