can I use cat5 instead of coax?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
in fact diplexers will not work on the swim side. as it requires a 2mhz fsk channel which the diplexer will cripple. the ota is for legacy side only

Works fine for me on a SWiM8 diplexing OTA and Ka/Ku DBS, but I've heard that if you have low band VHF stations it doesn't work very well. But if you're planning to use DECA when it comes out you can't diplex then, OTA shares the frequencies that the network data does.

I must be dense.

I have the cable coming from the IRD port of the Power Inserter (located in the basement) into the living room.

In the living room I connect that cable to a diplexer which gives me two cables. One cable I connect to the HD-DVR. The other cable I connect

a. to the cable-in ATSC tuner on the TV, or

b. to the AM-21 which I've bought. The AM-21 connects to the HD-DVR.

Why would I choose b ?

sean

in fact diplexers will not work on the swim side. as it requires a 2mhz fsk channel which the diplexer will cripple. the ota is for legacy side only

That's just rubbish. They make SWM diplexers that carry a range of 950mhz to 2150mhz that are designed for the SWM splitter. Not only am I using that very setup right now but you can go to Weaknees & see that they carry SWM diplexers to go right along with your other SWM technology. They ABSOLUTLEY work on the SWM side!

I must be dense.

I have the cable coming from the IRD port of the Power Inserter (located in the basement) into the living room.

In the living room I connect that cable to a diplexer which gives me two cables. One cable I connect to the HD-DVR. The other cable I connect

a. to the cable-in ATSC tuner on the TV, or

b. to the AM-21 which I've bought. The AM-21 connects to the HD-DVR.

Why would I choose b ?

sean

You choose "B" so the DTV guide incorporates all the channels, You can record those channels if you have a DVR & you don't have to change inputs to watch OTA locals....it's a no brainer.

How much of this stuff does DTV provide? Or is it all after-market?
As I said earlier, DIRECTV won't give you much that will help.

My understanding is that if you go for all SWiM capable receivers, they'll install the them and a SWM dish with power inserter. No joy for using CAT5 cabling nor diplexing.

DISH can do everything but the CAT5 but will charge extra for the diplexers and splitter required for OTA.

When all is said and done, it may prove cheaper to fish more cable.

So for three locations, I can get DTV to install an SWM with a power inserter ( so I don't need an SWM 8?) in the basement. I can connect the OTA feed to the SWM in the basement.

Doesn't DTV install a splitter for the 3 existing room drops?

At each room location I'll need (from weaknees):

DIRECTV-Approved Diplexer for SWM
DIRECTV-approved diplexer for SWM. Splits satellite signal from CATV and off-air signals.
$12.00 - FREE GROUND SHIPPING

and an AM21.

Am I getting closer?

sean

So for three locations, I can get DTV to install an SWM with a power inserter ( so I don't need an SWM 8?) in the basement. I can connect the OTA feed to the SWM in the basement.

Doesn't DTV install a splitter for the 3 existing room drops?

At each room location I'll need (from weaknees):

DIRECTV-Approved Diplexer for SWM
DIRECTV-approved diplexer for SWM. Splits satellite signal from CATV and off-air signals.
$12.00 - FREE GROUND SHIPPING

and an AM21.

Am I getting closer?

sean
Yea, you're getting closer & pretty much on the mark. It sounds like your having D install the SWM 3LNB which is a slightly different configuration than already having an AT/U9 with 4 coax outputs that go into the SWM8. I don't have the schematics for the SWM-LNB so I'm not 100% sure how or where they diplex in your OTA feed but it would have to be upstream of the splitter or you would only be getting your OTA's off of the good coaxial cable. If you get a great installer who's done some of these things it should go smoothly; you get the deer in the headlights tech & you'll have to reschedule. If you weren't getting the SWM dish from DTV it sounds like you could do all of this yourself with the help of this board. I followed the directions to the letter & listened to the pros here for help (one emailed me the full schematics) & the Receivers all switched over to SWM without a hitch. It also gave me a chance to replace & redirect all the old coax (besides the buried stuff) just the way I like it instead of their install. Bottom line, you're on the right path & you may encounter a hitch or two along the way but in the end you'll love it. As an aside (& keep in mind I have plenty of OTA signal with a preamp/distribution amp setup) you can use a normal dipler on the OTA coax that comes from the SWM diplexer & feed OTA to both the AM-21 & you're TV. I know you lose a little signal every time you make a splice or use one of these connections but the loss is minimal if you have amplified OTA feeds. Should your OTA stations start to fade in & out or checkerboard themselves you'll just have to remove the second diplexer because you don't have enough signal. If it works you have OTA on your receivers as well as your TV should you ever want to use that input to watch locals or your box goes bad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)