Can i use hr20 after i cancel service?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

moreorles

Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
I plan on canceling my service with directv. I have a few questions.

1. Will I be able to continue to view previously recorded shows?
2. Can I use this unit as an OTA tuner?
3. My understanding was that I owned this equipment. After reading this forum, I am starting to believe that I may not...

1=No after reboot.

2=No

3=Check with DirecTV website or 1-800-531-5000,If it's leased you will need to return it or end up being charged a large fee.

The fact that I cannot continue to view shows that I have previously recorded is unacceptable to me. This is just another reason I am leaving. I have a lot of things recorded that I has hoped to save. I guess I better get busy burning all of that to DVD.

When I signed up for service many, many years ago, I was paying around $50 for service. The only thing I didn't have at that time was HD. And I was using 3 receivers. Now I only use 1 receiver and all I have added was HD. My bill is $78. I just cannot continue to justify that expenditure considering the small amount of TV that I watch. The biggest loss will be the kids programming. I am hoping to suplement that with DVDs and online programming.

Even if you own the receiver, when you cancel service you are required to send the access card back to DirecTV. The receiver won't be worth a paperweight without that card.

I've cancelled service on owned R15 and H20 receivers and have (and other older models) and have never been asked to send the access cards back or been charged for not returning any.

It's still a requirement per the contract and TOS...whether or not DirecTV pushes the issue is entirely up to them.

DIRECTV: DIRECTV - Customer Agreement

Check out paragraph 1(e)

Yea, and all receivers that are mirrored or have a sport subscription are supposed to be connected to a phone line, and we know how well they enforce that contract term don't we;)

Okay.

I am having mixed results here. Last night I unplugged the satellite connection to my receiver. I was still able to access recorded programs. This morning, I received a message that the receiver had not communicated with a satellite in 8 hours, blah, blah, blah. I was still able to access recorded programs.

At lunch today, it was searching for a signal and refused to allow me access to my recordings.

We shall see what happens from here.

I was shocked to find that if they remove DVR service from your account your Receiver is a paper weight. Direct for some reason dumped my DVR service and in the middle of watching something it stopped working.

It is confirmed. If you cancel your service, the receiver does become a paperweight. Nothing is accessible. The funny thing is that it still tries to record things. I keep seeing the red light come on and it actually thinks it is recording something.

Okay.

I am having mixed results here. Last night I unplugged the satellite connection to my receiver. I was still able to access recorded programs. This morning, I received a message that the receiver had not communicated with a satellite in 8 hours, blah, blah, blah. I was still able to access recorded programs.

At lunch today, it was searching for a signal and refused to allow me access to my recordings.

We shall see what happens from here.

Did you turn off the DVR part of the service yet, once you turn that off, you will no longer have access tot he DVR funtions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts