Can I use my dish receiver in two locations?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I remember watching a Charlie Chat and one of the viewers asked the same question. Mr Ergen himself said that it was OK to bring the receiver to another location and use it, as long as you were not also viewing from the original location at the same time. This was a long time ago (probably over 5 years ago) but I distinctly remember Charlie Ergen saying that it was OK. I don't know if they changed their policy since then, but I do not ever recall hearing them say that it was not OK.

my only concern is for when the Audit Nazis call and your receiver isn't at the correct location. and they do call. even if you only have one receiver, i have read of them calling. the results of a failed audit are not pretty.

How about if nobody is home, but the DVR is recording while you are gone and you take the other receiver camping and hook it up and watch Dish. Is this legal.

You can only have the DISH Network service to one location at a time. You can move the receiver's to a second location and get service there but it is not to be running simultaneously at a second location at the same time!

I would say she answered that!

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same question regarding the Hopper/Joey system.

If I upgrade to a 2H/3J setup (1H/1J and 1H/2J) would I be able to set up a hopper and joey at an alternate location without any issue from Dish?
Obviously, I will have to rewire for the new setup, but beyond that will the systems work simultaneously?

Haven't heard much lately on the activity of the Dish Audit team. That would be your only risk, having the Audit team call you while your receivers are active at both locations, but is the Audit team really active anymore?

Last edited:
One reason I haven't upgraded yet. I have 2 hopper 2's and I don't really want to take the hopper 3 tailgating (since you can only have 1 hopper 3) and I would have to have a different dish configuration as well. Correct?

One reason I haven't upgraded yet. I have 2 hopper 2's and I don't really want to take the hopper 3 tailgating (since you can only have 1 hopper 3) and I would have to have a different dish configuration as well. Correct?

Yes, but you COULD (still) add a 211 or Wally receiver to your account w/the H3, & take it tailgating instead... ;)

Reactions: navychop
I did this last summer I activated my old ViP 211k as a Tailgater/RV receiver for our vacation. Since we were outside of the Locals Spotbeam we had no LiL OTA channels. During the whole process I was very upfront about what I was doing with the DishNetwork CSR. But this isn't what the original poster wanted to do since I had to pay the pro-rated HD receiver fee for 3 weeks I had the 211k activated.

If I had two locations, or a motorhome, here's what I would do. Get another dish and LNBF unit, identical to what I have at home, and carry the receiver(s) with me. Simple hookup, no checkswitch required.

If I invest in a second dish/lnb outdoor setup, can I move my receiver - say on weekends - between my home and my second location?

Thanks !

Curmudgeon
Sure...Why not. Just put up a dish at the other location.....And keep it quiet. Dish considers "weekend" or "vacation homes" a second residence and therefore require an additional account. Its crap but, it is Dish policy.
Of course anyone with half a brain would avoid telling Dish about it.

I actually inquired about an RV receiver..The CSR, very cool guy, gave me a number for the dept that handles that stuff.
Wjhat brought that up was my conversation regarding an upgrade to Hopper 3. I am looking at starting a transporting business and want to be able to watch tv when I park over night.

My thing has always been that as long as no one outside of my immediate family that resides with me in my primary residence watches my receiver at the lake house and another at the primary what is the problem. Now if a friend or outside family member had one of my receivers i see the issue there.
Everyone I know that stacks has D* not dish. Why do you think they push the hopper? real hard to stack with that.

Why do you think they push the hopper? real hard to stack with that.

NOT at all actually...you CAN add up to 4 Ho's (H1's & H2's) AND still add up to (2) 211's on the SAME account.
There's people on this very board w/multiple Ho's &/or 211's; NOT a stretch to put them in multiple places at once.

Sure...Why not. Just put up a dish at the other location.....And keep it quiet. Dish considers "weekend" or "vacation homes" a second residence and therefore require an additional account. Its crap but, it is Dish policy.
Of course anyone with half a brain would avoid telling Dish about it.
No need to keep it quiet at all. There are snowbird accounts that take their equipment back and forth, or have a purchased receiver that just gets activated. Does not require a second account at all, and is actually encouraged by Dish. That said, the only rule is that cannot be using both addresses simultaneously. Meaning, you can't be at the cabin and your wife at home, watching the same account. That would be stacking, and require a second account.

Reactions: Troch77
Haven't heard much lately on the activity of the Dish Audit team. That would be your only risk, having the Audit team call you while your receivers are active at both locations, but is the Audit team really active anymore?

All they really will do is call you and ask for receiver location ID Numbers.

Meanwhile you make the excuse your not home, go get the other receiver and pass their stupid test.

Not that I support account stacking, but if you have a second vacation home who the hell really cares if you leave a receiver up there or take one back and fourth.

The way I see it, as long as your not sharing an extra receiver with someone who would otherwise have to have their own account then your ok.

The only people who the audit police actually catch are the ones where they get ahold of a wife or someone not aware of what's going on.

They are so dumb they shut off one of my accounts with 1 receiver saying I couldn't have 2 accounts in my name... Really?

I was like ok, whatever leave it shut off. I'll keep my $100/mo.

Needless to say I still had TV at the place where I was paying for a second account ;)

Reactions: dishrich
All they really will do is call you and ask for receiver location ID Numbers.
I know all this. My question was whether they are actively calling anymore. I haven't seen anyone report that they were called for a long time now (about since the Hopper was released.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts