Can I use my old C-band dish setup for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

farmerchief

Original poster
Sep 25, 2005
Just stumbled across this site while doing searches on the internet. I have an old C-band 10' system sitting out back of my house(wife has been after me to remove it for years(LOL)). Can I use this, and hook up an FTA receiver? I still have my motorized actuator on the dish, but I'm sure I would have to change the currant LNB. Im a farmer, and after wheat drilling is done (hopefully within the next few weeks), I will have time to play with this, throughout the winter. I am really intriguied with the technology, and figured me and my youngest son, might have some fun seeing what is available in the FTA transmissions. I read Iceberg's review on the Pansat 3500, seemed like a very nice FTA receiver, but we would need something very simple to start with. Thanks for any input you care to render.
farmerchief

Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum :welcome

Sure can use your Big dish for FTA. There is still quite a lot of sports FTA analog, but to get the full benefit from your dish you would need a DVB receiver just like the 3500.

A new LNB might be needed if you want both C-Band and KU-Band, you have found the RIGHT place!

Nice to have you here!

PSB said:
Hello and WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum :welcome

Sure can use your Big dish for FTA. There is still quite a lot of sports FTA analog, but to get the full benefit from your dish you would need a DVB receiver just like the 3500.

A new LNB might be needed if you want both C-Band and KU-Band, you have found the RIGHT place!

Nice to have you here!
Thanks for the greeting! I would probably need to look into a dual KU/C band LNB, is that correct?(do they even make such animals?(ha))

farmerchief said:
Just stumbled across this site while doing searches on the internet. I have an old C-band 10' system sitting out back of my house(wife has been after me to remove it for years(LOL)). Can I use this, and hook up an FTA receiver? I still have my motorized actuator on the dish, but I'm sure I would have to change the currant LNB. Im a farmer, and after wheat drilling is done (hopefully within the next few weeks), I will have time to play with this, throughout the winter. I am really intriguied with the technology, and figured me and my youngest son, might have some fun seeing what is available in the FTA transmissions. I read Iceberg's review on the Pansat 3500, seemed like a very nice FTA receiver, but we would need something very simple to start with. Thanks for any input you care to render.
farmerchief

I think, considering the price as well, that the pansat 2700a would be great.

You sure can. If you have the right mesh or if it is solid with the right LNB combo you can also get Ku on it too. I bet if you get a channel she likes then your wife will stop wanting you to get rid of it :D

farmerchief said:
farmerchief

If a regular pencil will fit through the holes its no use for KU.

No larger than 1/8th"

Farmerchief,

This is my set up, I have a Satwork 3618 slaved through a Motorola 922 and I get C/Ku analog and digital and FTA C/Ku DVB. You can't beat it.

Attachments

• Dsc00210.jpg
    Dsc00210.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Dsc00212.jpg
    Dsc00212.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 235
Jim
kind of OT...there's a guy about 20 miles from our lake house who has a dish that looks just like that :)

(he's out in the middle of nowhere so he's probably had it for a while)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)