Can I use the Winegard antenna for another receiver?

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Can I use the Winegard Sensar with diplexer on a different digital receiver?

I have a winegard senar with diplexer running my voom box. I know the antenna needs voltage to operate, is the voltage supplied from the SAT input or the ANT input? I was considering cobbling together an adapter so I could pull the antenna signal to another (slightly better) digital receiver, but if in doing so I lose the voltage from the STB it won't do me any good. ANY tips appreciated.

Thanks
--Dan

dankgus said:
is the voltage supplied from the SAT input or the ANT input?
From the SAT input. It's the same voltage supplied to the LNB.

I've tried to use the wineguard ant cable to another reciever and get virtually nothing. If it is a power problem, then that must be why. I went to wineguards web site and found that there is an amplifier that you can buy that can be attached near the antenna. What would happen to voom stb if it got that extra boost in signal? It's already 98 on most of my channels. would this this overpower the channels? I'm not at all skilled in this area, so I don't even know if I what I'm saying sounds dumb.

You can run the Winegard to another STB or to the V* STB without the diplexer if you use a power injector inserted somewhere between the antenna and the STB. A power injector is a device that supplies a DC voltage on the coax line andd it just plugs into a wall socket. Hope this helps. BTW, you can get them at Radio Shack and on the internet.

jwtracey said:
You can run the Winegard to another STB or to the V* STB without the diplexer if you use a power injector inserted somewhere between the antenna and the STB. A power injector is a device that supplies a DC voltage on the coax line andd it just plugs into a wall socket. Hope this helps. BTW, you can get them at Radio Shack and on the internet.

The installer used the existing cabling in my house. The ota and dish cable comes into the house in the basement, into some kind of box, then a single line goes over to my preinstalled cable, gets split, goes up to my two boxes. On one voom box, a splitter splits out the ota from the dish, and they go to separate feeds on thr voom box. On the other box, he had this device that inserted into the slot where the dish is connected on the other, and only one cable goes to this bo:mad: apparently split internally by this adapter).

My cable goes through so many splits and recombines, I wouldn't be sure where to put a power injector. I'll have to diagram it someday and take it to radio shack and see if they can figure it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)