Can I Wacth OTA without HD reciver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satjay

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 30, 2005
Michigan
I am looking to add a HD TV, I currently have one with the standard HD reciver in another room. The TV I have now has a directv DVR. If I get a HD TV, will I at least be able to get locals with OTA Rabit Ears hooked up to the standard DRV box????....I know this may be a stupid question. If I cant, I might as well as hold off on the TV, since the DVR's are on back order??? (though with some of the deals that are out there, it may be tough!!!)

Oh, second question, if I really see a good deal on a HD TV, I guess I can put a hold on the DVR, and hook up my MPEG 2 reciver, since right now Mpeg 4 channles are not up yet???. Will the reciver work with the MPEG 4 dish that I have....

Thanks for any advice

New TV's for the most part have built in HD tuners now. You can hook up rabbit ears to your TV and watch HD from there. You can't use a non-HD box to watch it though.

New TV's for the most part have built in HD tuners now. You can hook up rabbit ears to your TV and watch HD from there. You can't use a non-HD box to watch it though.

Ok, so with the built in tuners...how does that work, so I can watch the locals, is it as easy as just switching the channels?? or do I have to switch over to something???

Go to antennaweb.org here you can check and see how close the local transmitters are to you.If they are close you would then need a HDTV with a digital tuner.Then you hook up an outside antenna to the TV and you should have digital channels.Digital channels are like 8.1,8.2 ect..Good Luck!

Ok, so with the built in tuners...how does that work, so I can watch the locals, is it as easy as just switching the channels?? or do I have to switch over to something???

Yes it's as easy as switching the channels like cable from your cable company.

Can I Watch OTA without HD Receiver?

I am looking to add a HD TV, I currently have one with the standard HD reciver in another room. The TV I have now has a directv DVR. If I get a HD TV, will I at least be able to get locals with OTA Rabit Ears hooked up to the standard DRV box????....I know this may be a stupid question. If I cant, I might as well as hold off on the TV, since the DVR's are on back order??? (though with some of the deals that are out there, it may be tough!!!)

Oh, second question, if I really see a good deal on a HD TV, I guess I can put a hold on the DVR, and hook up my MPEG 2 reciver, since right now Mpeg 4 channles are not up yet???. Will the reciver work with the MPEG 4 dish that I have....

Thanks for any advice

Just make sure that the new set you buy has a built-in ATSC tuner and you'll be able to pick up whatever digital (both SD and HD) signals you're within range of.
I'm app. 40 miles as the crow flies from the antenna farm here is Houston and I pick up all the major stations just fine through a powered Winegard antenna mounted inside my attic. I'm using a Samsung 40" receiver and it gets a beautiful signal with it's built-in tuner.

Good Luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts