Can I??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davies_z

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
Please guys I am new to satellite stuffs and need some questions to be answered.
I wanna get an FTA receiver(Fortec Ultra). I live in Nigeria. Can I receive channels from PAS7 which is over south africa from Nigeria.?

Thanks a lot.But I intend to get a 65cm diameter dish. Would that be ok for getting channels from Satellites like Astra2A, 2D,Eurobird1?
Thanks.

Thanks for your answers. They have helped a lot;but please one more thing,if the satellite beam for the channels i like is not directed towards Nigeria as is the case of PAS 7 and other satellites, do i need a dish mover to get those channels?
Also what are feeds?
Thanks

davies_z said:
Thanks for your answers. They have helped a lot;but please one more thing,if the satellite beam for the channels i like is not directed towards Nigeria as is the case of PAS 7 and other satellites, do i need a dish mover to get those channels?
Also what are feeds?
Thanks

The South African beam on PAS 7 won't reach Nigeria. PAS 10 covers Nigeria, but it is more a C-Band satellite.

Also, none of the ASTRA sats point at Nigeria.
None of the HotBirds, either.
Atlantic Bird 3 has C-band coverage of Nigeria.
Eutelsat W3A has some ku coverage.
Eutelsat W4 has ku but as part of MultiChoice Africa.

Sir
I Used The Satellite Tracker On Lyngsat And It Indicated That Part Of The Beam From Pas7,4 And Astra2b,2d.etc Reaches Nigeria. Please What Exactly Does That Satellite Tracker Mean. And Also What Are Feeds?
Thanks

The Lyngsat tracker lets you know that you have line of sight to the satellite (you can see it), but it seems you are out of any beams being sent your way (footprint)
A feed is an occasional broadcast, could be news or sports not intended for public consumption, but can be seen with a FTA system.

Sir,
I really want to get Channels such as Hope channel,Spirit word Channel,TCT World, Daystar TV,Revelation TV,Channel U, etc but these Channels are on PAS7and Eurobird1. Is it possible to receive the Channels on PAS7 on PAS10 since both are PAS satellites?
Also what would be the Importance of the dish mover to me considering my location-Nigeria.
Thanks

"Is it possible to receive the Channels on PAS7 on PAS10 since both are PAS satellites?"

Well both are at the same place in sky. (68.5E) Only the beams are different!

A dish mover is needed only if you want to be able to pick up more than one satellite as the dish moves to point at each satellite.

http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/pas10_ku.asp

Sir,
Does that mean that I can get Channels on PAS7 through PAS10?You know I dont want to buy a Fortec FTA receiver and then regret it since i cant get the stations i'd like to watch.I want to be very sure.
Thanks

You will only be able to get the channels that fall in your footprint so NO you will not be able to get Pas 7 through Pas 10, take your time and study the above footprints and then you can blame yourself if you cant get them, it seems you will only be able to get the channels from Pas 10.

Think of the footprint as a flashlight beam coming down from the satellite, even if you can see the satellite unless you are in the beam you get nothing, or very weak signals at best, I am sure you would have a lot of fun with a FTA system no matter what!

Sir,
Thanks for that but if i can get weak signals from PAS 7 or other satellites that don't beam to-wards me,can a larger dish work say 120cm fortec dish?

Don't count on that, there's a very small chance you could get something depending on how far off you are from the beam. But most likely you will not get anything.

Sir,
If I should view Satellites like NSS7,PAS10,and Intelsat 907, in Space sending Beams to West Africa, do I need to use a Dish mover to get signals from these satellites since their Beams Cover where I am?

No you just need to point your dish at each satellite independently as and when you want them, a dish mover is more for convenance than anything else, it saves you going back and forth to the dish and repointing it every time you want to change satellite, you could add it later if and/or when you get fed up repointing the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)