Can Joeys communicate via Ethernet as opposed to cable

MW390

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
A couple of years ago I got FIOS installed and the guy did a crap job installing the cable and we got a leak in a room that cost us $3000 to basically redo the room. Nevertheless the wife is kind of not in favor of replacing cable (RG6?). We've been Dish customer since Dec 1998 so I assume the cable is RG5? We had our dish replaced recently so I assume the guy used newer cable from the 1000 to the main splitter. I have a very good in home wired/wireless network (Ethernet and homeplug adapters). I wonder if the cable is run to the Hopper (thru my attic to my man cave) and the Joeys communicate via Ethernet rather than run cables? It also makes it very much more portable if I want to add a Joey or move one. Thanks to all who answer

OK...great, so the question remains. Can the Joeys talk to the Hopper via Ethernet?
Presently they can BUT, they are not supposed to. It is not an official/supported feature and no guarantee it won't be disabled with future software updates.

I've got the belt and suspenders in place. So both are connected.

The only difference I've noticed is that the broadband data is filled for the Joeys.

I'm kind of not familiar with your colloqualism. I assume by belt and suspenders you mean Ethernet and Coax. What do you mean the broadband is
"filled for the Joeys". High utilization?

Presently they can BUT, they are not supposed to. It is not an official/supported feature and no guarantee it won't be disabled with future software updates.

I looked at the link that "sparc" sent where it points to wiring diagrams and Dish's doc specifically says Ethernet is the preferred connection if Hopper is close to router

I looked at the link that "sparc" sent where it points to wiring diagrams and Dish's doc specifically says Ethernet is the preferred connection if Hopper is close to router

Direct ethernet to the Hopper is the preferred connection method for Internet content, NOT for Hopper / Joey communication. There are no Dish document references to using only ethernet for Hopper / Joey communication. That said, ethernet only is not considered to be an official/supported feature (as KAB said).

It does work, for now. Use it at your own risk.

I also have a Joey connected to the Hopper over Ethernet and another over coax. If anything, the Ethernet connected Joey seems to work better than the coax connected Joey. Dish has been silent about connecting a Joey to the Hopper with Ethernet instead of coax so we don't know if this functionality is accidental or deliberate. You could also put Dish's USB Ethernet dongle on the Joey for wireless operation if your WiFi is robust enough!

Get it setup through approved coax. You're going have at least one proper RG6 cable for the hopper. Joeys can reuse your RG59.

After the tech leaves, you can experiment however you want. At least this way, you'll have proper coax available as a backup when you run into problems.

I'm kind of not familiar with your colloqualism. I assume by belt and suspenders you mean Ethernet and Coax. What do you mean the broadband is
"filled for the Joeys". High utilization?

Without ethernet connected, on the status page the broadband entry is red (i.e. dead). With ethernet connected, the broadband entry is green (good / filled in).

Yes, you've figured out the colloquialism.

Get it setup through approved coax. You're going have at least one proper RG6 cable for the hopper. Joeys can reuse your RG59.

After the tech leaves, you can experiment however you want. At least this way, you'll have proper coax available as a backup when you run into problems.

RG6 to each location gives you the ability to move hoppers / joeys about as you please without regard for what can go where (RG59 vs RG6).

RG6 to each location gives you the ability to move hoppers / joeys about as you please without regard for what can go where (RG59 vs RG6).

Since we're usually talking about installing through Dish....

I would guess that a Dish tech is only obligated to run RG6 for the Hopper lines (when necessary). They are most likely allowed to reuse existing coax for the joey lines when possible. They aren't going to go out of their way to rewire someone's entire house when it's not needed.

Alright, I will. Thanks everyone. I think I can now proceed.

The way it's all set up in the broadband menu I highly doubt that Dish will disable Joey Ethernet functionality anytime soon, so I'd say it's safe to use Ethernet between H/J, as long as previously stated that you have backup coax just in case.

Anyone with their Joeys connected only with ethernet/wireless (coax disconnected) having any issues getting their Joeys to stay linked to their Hopper? Nightly reboot seems to be de-linking my Joey.

I know this is an unsupported setup, but any suggestions about preventing the de-link would be great. I haven't seen any posts from others about this de-link, so I'm gonna assume it is something in my setup that I could/should tweak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)