Can mpeg4 increase signal strength?

dslate69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2006
NC
We all know mpeg4 can give the same quality of mpeg2 with a lot less bandwidth. And we know mpeg4 can give a lot better quality using the equivalent bandwidth of mpeg2.
But my question is can mpeg4's bandwidth savings translate to less outages due to rain fade and the like? Can DISH add more error correction or redundancy to the signal to avoid outages with lower signal transponders?
I know bandwidth is at a premium but as more sd channels go mpeg4 and more sats go up can DISH do away with a significant percentage of lost signals?
It seems very doable but I am sure there is something I am missing like the interval between the first packet and the redundant or the correction packet. Feel free to drop some logic on me. :cool:

Yes, but no...

Yes in theory they could use less bandwidth for the same quality of the same number of channels for the TP, and increase error correction to fill in the new space.

No they will never do it.

They have a standard which is a certain % of rainfade, and they will keep that standard. If you are suffering from rainfade too much your only hope is a larger dish (assuming your current dish is pointed correctly to get max signal). A slightly larger dish dramatically decreases rainfade. Going to a 1000.2 vs Dish 500 is a big difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts