Can NO longer record any SiriusXM channels

Is Sirius demanding Dish that they have to carry it at low fidelity, or is that Dish's decision? It is available at much higher quality if Dish cares to use it.
What part of Sirius XM is in charge of the signal they are giving to Dish don't you understand? It's not like you are paying extra for the channels that Dish provides. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy for Sirius XM.... You want better, you gotta pay for it. You mention that you get it streamed over the net. You pay Sirius XM extra for that. Same difference...

Reactions: Mr Tony
While the Dish signal could be better, you make it sound like it is 48 KBps.

My estimate is that Dish carries Sirius at 96 Kbps, which is unlistenable if you like classical music as I do. Pop music and oldies are not going to require as much sound quality, so those people are not as affected.

What part of Sirius XM is in charge of the signal they are giving to Dish don't you understand? It's not like you are paying extra for the channels that Dish provides. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy for Sirius XM.... You want better, you gotta pay for it. You mention that you get it streamed over the net. You pay Sirius XM extra for that. Same difference...

Sirius demands that their music sound crappy on Dish Network? That is news to me.

And Dish doesn't pay anything to SiriusXM for the channels?

Sirius demands that their music sound crappy on Dish Network? That is news to me.
They don't care that it sounds crappy on their own radios either. The only way it sounds half way decent is streaming over the internet and they get paid extra for that. They are not going to give Dish that for nothing and Dish isn't going to give you that for nothing either....

I don't know what your source of information is, unless you are a Dish or Sirius employee or have "inside information". I suspect it is Dish which is just trying to save on bandwidth.

As for Dish giving me "something for nothing", I get a bill every month from them, and it goes up every year.

I just want to throw in my 2¢. The sound quality my not be perfect but it is a nice feature to have. No other satellite or cable provider has Sirius as part of their programming. A find it a definite plus. Nice to be able to send music to different rooms in the house. We even send it out to the pool area. If I had one of the other guys I wouldn't be able to do that. I find it a valuable part of my programming. Just saying.

Reactions: david_jr
At least 60 percent of the population can't tell the difference between good sound quality and bad, and Dish seems to cater to that segment of the listening audience.
Everything is able to be better but also at a price.

With all the money and bandwidth that Dish is saving from dropping the 18 Viacom channels, I want the SiriusXM channels in higher quality immediately, and at no additional cost to me. Enough is enough.

They could also create an application on the Hopper that runs the music through the Internet connection, not the satellite. Either way is fine with me.

At least 60 percent of the population can't tell the difference between good sound quality and bad, and Dish seems to cater to that segment of the listening audience.

With all the money and bandwidth that Dish is saving from dropping the 18 Viacom channels, I want the SiriusXM channels in higher quality immediately, and at no additional cost to me. Enough is enough.

They could also create an application on the Hopper that runs the music through the Internet connection, not the satellite. Either way is fine with me.
Quite demanding. Maybe you can switch to DTV for your Pandora listening at higher quality over an issue that hasn't even happened yet...

And if they were an Internet provider, you may have a point, but these are not apps. These are physical linear channels. If you want it through the Internet, go through a provider that offers through the Internet. Issue resolved. Everyone has options.

And if they were an Internet provider, you may have a point, but these are not apps. These are physical linear channels. If you want it through the Internet, go through a provider that offers through the Internet. Issue resolved. Everyone has options.

Pandora is an app, isn't it, served via the Internet? And are you with Dish management?

Perhaps the reason why you are not allowed to record anymore is due to the new device that allows you to take your recordings with you and they dont want you to record a bunch of hours of music to take with you because it would take away from their satellite radio business.

Reactions: KAB and Tampa8
Perhaps the reason why you are not allowed to record anymore is due to the new device that allows you to take your recordings with you and they dont want you to record a bunch of hours of music to take with you because it would take away from their satellite radio business.
it's not like people can't DL mp3's or do things that there not suppossed to do and DL hours of music and there's plenty of free music services to me there's really no reason to owe sxm anything

So I am probably making myself seem somewhat old here but does anyone remember the music service DMX (Digital Music eXpress) in the maybe late 80's early 90's? I know the brand lived on longer than that.
Anyways, let's say it was late 80's. My parents had a good old General Instruments cable tv box and the DMX box hooked up to that with like an fm tap or whatever via the cable coax from the wall. So then you had a separate box that was DMX and it had a HUGE remote on it that had like let's say a one inch LCD screen on it. On that remote you could hit "next" and it would tell you the next song coming up on the station. And voila, you knew what the next song on that channel was coming up and you could record it... on tape at that time was the most logical choice. Anyways, I think they had to get rid of that feature and I have never seen a music service (like Sirius and XM when they were separate entities, or what ever is on cable and DirecTV) have a feature that you could see the next song coming up. Anyways, just thought I would throw that out there. It was obviously a copyright and recording issue.

Pandora is an app, isn't it, served via the Internet? And are you with Dish management?
Not on Dish...
Wait, the Pandora on Dish is satellite-delivered? Then why does the app require an internet connection?

...On that remote you could hit "next" and it would tell you the next song coming up on the station. And voila, you knew what the next song on that channel was coming up and you could record it... on tape at that time was the most logical choice. Anyways, I think they had to get rid of that feature and I have never seen a music service (like Sirius and XM when they were separate entities, or what ever is on cable and DirecTV) have a feature that you could see the next song coming up...
I would love that feature! Dish used to have a Karaoke app in Dish Home that would list the next songs coming up. At one point, I think Dish even did a free preview of that app. I guess they dropped it because it didn't have enough subscribers.