Can not change dish type from slimline/ swm to round/lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv7plt

Original poster
Dec 15, 2015
Baker, Fl
I have a Genie receiver that I have been using with a slimline with a swm module and am trying to use a 18" round antenna with a lnb. In satellite setup I se!elected the round antenna but was unable to select lnb. The receiver says the swm was not detected. I reset the receiver and it switched back to the slimline. What do I have to do to get it to recognize the round antenna and lnb?

John

John,
Easiest way to solve this is to get yourself a new Slimline/SWM dish and a Power Inserter.
If thats the only recvr, your good to go, other wise you'll want a SWM splitter as well ...

OK, I understand that. Are there any current receivers that will work with a 18" round antenna?

The following receivers will work with a NON Swm LNBF HR20,21,22,23,24, H24 and if you can get one a D12. All the receivers I mentioned except for the D12 are HD receivers and you will NOT be able to get HD channels without a Slimline/SWM LNBF.

If you use a HR receiver with a 18 inch Dish, they have have two inputs, you must connect both if you want to use both tuners.

EDIT.... You will NOT receive any local market channels with an 18 inch Dish.

John

Reactions: stardust3
Not true, you don't need a Swm LNB to get HD channels.

You need a NON swm 3 or 5 LNB.

But the rest of your post is true.
With the receivers.
Dvrs will require 2 lines and
The HD receivers except the H23 HR23 will need BBCs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The following receivers will work with a NON Swm LNBF HR20,21,22,23,24, H24 and if you can get one a D12. All the receivers I mentioned except for the D12 are HD receivers and you will NOT be able to get HD channels without a Slimline/SWM LNBF.

If you use a HR receiver with a 18 inch Dish, they have have two inputs, you must connect both if you want to use both tuners

John
What ?
You can get HD with a HR24 and all those mentioned (except the D12) with a Slimline dish, the SWM is not required for those recvrs, you CAN use a SWM, but it's not necessary ... You will need the BBC filter on the HR24 and lower to get the HD side of the programming though.

Reactions: ejb1980 and Troch77
What ?
You can get HD with a HR24 and all those mentioned (except the D12) with a Slimline dish, the SWM is not required for those recvrs, you CAN use a SWM, but it's not necessary ... You will need the BBC filter on the HR24 and lower to get the HD side of the programming though.

Oops I forgot to mention you could use a NON SWM LNBF, but you will still need a Slimline Dish to be able to get enough signal for KA Band.

We seem to be feeding the poster bits of info without being complete in one place.
All DirecTV recent receivers(D12, R16, H24, hr21/22/23/24), will work with the 18in round dish except the H25 receiver, and the HR34/44/54 Genies (and their clients)
The receivers that work with the 18in dish will not receive HD channels, and will not receive any locals at all in the posters DMA because the SD locals come from the 119 satellite which the 18in round dish can't receive.
It is possible to add an SWM8 multiswitch (and associated power inserter) to the 18in dish and make it work with the H25 and HR34/44/54, but it really does not seem worth the money unless it's the OP's only possible solution. Still no HD or locals.
To receive HD channels, and the SD locals from 119, you need a slimline dish with a non-SWM 5- LNB assembly. Now you will get HD, and the SD locals, but still no H25 or HR34/44/54 compatibility. To get that compatibility, you would need a slimline dish with an SWM 5-LNB, and the associated power inserter.
Note that if this dish is going to be away from your home (camp, RVetc) you will only get locals when you are in the spotbeam centered on your city. Spotbeams are different sizes, HD much smaller than SD, but you would need to tell us where the dish is going to be located to get advice on locals availability.

That's the menu, now all you have to do is price the options and select what you want to do.

Reactions: stvcmty and Jimbo
If you don't want HD, you don't need BBCs. If you have an SWM setup, you don't need BBCs. If you have an HR23, you don't need BBCs.

We seem to be feeding the poster bits of info without being complete in one place.
All DirecTV recent receivers(D12, R16, H24, hr21/22/23/24), will work with the 18in round dish except the H25 receiver, and the HR34/44/54 Genies (and their clients)
The receivers that work with the 18in dish will not receive HD channels, and will not receive any locals at all in the posters DMA because the SD locals come from the 119 satellite which the 18in round dish can't receive.
It is possible to add an SWM8 multiswitch (and associated power inserter) to the 18in dish and make it work with the H25 and HR34/44/54, but it really does not seem worth the money unless it's the OP's only possible solution. Still no HD or locals.
To receive HD channels, and the SD locals from 119, you need a slimline dish with a non-SWM 5- LNB assembly. Now you will get HD, and the SD locals, but still no H25 or HR34/44/54 compatibility. To get that compatibility, you would need a slimline dish with an SWM 5-LNB, and the associated power inserter.
Note that if this dish is going to be away from your home (camp, RVetc) you will only get locals when you are in the spotbeam centered on your city. Spotbeams are different sizes, HD much smaller than SD, but you would need to tell us where the dish is going to be located to get advice on locals availability.

That's the menu, now all you have to do is price the options and select what you want to do.

Two 18” dishes could be used with a SWM8/16 to get 101 and 119 for a Genie.

If for some reason the original poster had two 18” dishes and LNBF’s, one could be pointed at 101 and one could be pointed at 119. Then a SWM8 and power inserter (about $25 on ebay) could be used. Directv is not using 110 for anything CONUS so sat c would not be a concern. Feed the 119 LNB into the 119/110 LNB ports on the SWM8. Feed the 101 LNB into the 101 LNB ports on the SWM8. Hook up the power inserter and the genie. Tell the genie to use LNB setting 2 [3-LNB (18X20)]. Only SD content would be available, but a pair of 18” dishes can be aimed with cheap meters.

Going out and buying everything to do this from scratch would be ill-advises, but if someone had it or could get it used for next to nothing it would be cheaper than a new out of the box slim line. In a cabin-in-the-woods type situation being able separate the 119 and 101 dishes could minimize cutting down trees.

Two 18” dishes could be used with a SWM8/16 to get 101 and 119 for a Genie.

If for some reason the original poster had two 18” dishes and LNBF’s, one could be pointed at 101 and one could be pointed at 119. Then a SWM8 and power inserter (about $25 on ebay) could be used. Directv is not using 110 for anything CONUS so sat c would not be a concern. Feed the 119 LNB into the 119/110 LNB ports on the SWM8. Feed the 101 LNB into the 101 LNB ports on the SWM8. Hook up the power inserter and the genie. Tell the genie to use LNB setting 2 [3-LNB (18X20)]. Only SD content would be available, but a pair of 18” dishes can be aimed with cheap meters.

Going out and buying everything to do this from scratch would be ill-advises, but if someone had it or could get it used for next to nothing it would be cheaper than a new out of the box slim line. In a cabin-in-the-woods type situation being able separate the 119 and 101 dishes could minimize cutting down trees.
Doubtful when you can get a dish set up for under $100.
By the time to hooked all that up and got the equipment you mentioned, not to mention the time to make it all work .... I'd much rather get the correct stuff in the first place.

you could also pick up a Phase III oval dish from someone who was dumping it (moving to HD) but why bother... personally I think either of those solutions would be a waste of time.

If you use a HR receiver with a 18 inch Dish, they have have two inputs, you must connect both if you want to use both tuners.

EDIT.... You will NOT receive any local market channels with an 18 inch Dish.

John
Incorrect. All my LiL SD channels are beamed from the 101.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)