Can people in NY get CW East Feed during Tribune/WPIX fight?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ETS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Port Ewen, NY
I have a question. If we are in NY and our local CW channel is WPIX and its currently off do to this tiff, could we ask DirecTV since we don't currently have a local CW channel for NY that we get the CW East(Baltimore) or CW West Channel(San Diego) feed?

Also I live in Port Ewen, NY. which puts me in the NY Market but Port Ewen is 102 miles away from NYC, I see on DirecTV's site that DIRECTV : Other Local Channel Options

Qualifying for East or West Network Feeds
Did you know that some DIRECTV customers may be eligible to receive non-local feeds of major broadcast networks? Eligibility is governed by federal law*, and is determined by several factors including:

• You don't live near a metropolitan area
  • You can't get any TV reception whatsoever
  • You live more than 70 miles from TV station broadcast towers

Does that mean I could qualify for the CW East feed. I ask this because I would like to see Ring Of Honor which is on the CW East(Baltimore) feed.

Last edited:
ETS said:
I have a question. If we are in NY and our local CW channel is WPIX and its currently off do to this tiff, could we ask DirecTV since we don't currently have a local CW channel for NY that we get the CW East(Baltimore) or CW West Channel(San Diego) feed?

Also I live in Port Ewen, NY. which puts me in the NY Market but Port Ewen is 102 miles away from NYC, I see on DirecTV's site that DIRECTV : Other Local Channel Options

Does that mean I could qualify for the CW East feed. I ask this because I would like to see Ring Of Honor which is on the CW East(Baltimore) feed.

Probably not. If you are indeed considered in the WPIX market then that is the station you are stuck with. The station didn't move and the tif with Tribune, at least as I understand it (though I defer to those more knowledgeable), is immaterial to eligibility for distant networks.

You could possibly "move" to another market but that would affect the other stations you receive as well and you would be stuck with the locals in the market you "moved" to.

I called DirecTV the lady said I did not qualify because they are in negotiations. I told here how on Local/Network Channel Availability - DIRECTV I entered in all my info and it said I could submit a waiver because it said I don't have a CW and it's missing. She said if I did it would send the Waiver to DirecTV and be denied. She told me to go to DirecTVpromise. I told her I was going to try the waiver online at the link since it said my CW was missing and I could submit a waiver.

I submited a waiver at 6:08am and at 6:10am Channel 394 CW East started playing! :) So happy I get to see Ring Of Honor Wrestling Saturday at 10pm! (Starts running around yelling "YES YES YES!" like Daniel Bryan)

Last edited:
I am in the far northwest area of the NYC DMA. I have the AM21 OTA tuner and usually keep my roof top OTA antenna aimed at Scranton as the signals from there are a little stronger. Most of those channels come in fine for me but I can only get CW and MyTV in SD on WOLF-TV's sub channels. WSWB is too weak for me to get. I tried turning my antenna toward NYC and everything works except for WPIX and WNET. This is because WBRE and WYOU on channels 11 and 13 are too strong to reject by turning the antenna. The other PA channels still come in (but not too good) when the antenna is aimed at NYC. 11 and 13 don't work at all when I did this. I don't understand how the FCC permitted these channels on the same frequency at less than 120 miles LOS apart. So I must live with CW in SD for now on channel 56.2.
I also tried to reprogram the AM21 from scratch "initial setup" as a couple of channels are missing. WPIX 11.4 (ThisTV) and WSWB 38.2 (MeTV) have not been programmed into the system. I am surprised NYC people have not complained about this.

If you submit a wavier then DIRECTV needs to send that Waiver to TRIBUNE to get approval for the Wavier.I don't think Tribune will do that. :D

If you could simply do that, why would negotiations be necessary?

Also I live in Port Ewen, NY.....

The CW station from Albany is on a translator station right in Kingston. It is on channel 24 and has WRGB on a subchannel. You should be able to get it with an indoor antenna since you are only 5 miles away.

WCWN 45.1 Albany NY is pretty strong with an outside antenna about 20 miles north. I wasn't aware I may have been receiving a local translator. Interesting.
Congrats to you but this is the DTV forum. We need to worry about that AM21. Unlike the Dish OTA tuners, we can only tune into what D* allows. I have several low power stations close by but won't work with the D* OTA tuner. The E* OTA tuner really scans so that would work fine.

Also if a channel gets pulled for negotiation reasons (as is the case) they (D*) cant import a neighboring network

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)