Status
Please reply by conversation.

chum1976

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
pa
Hi everyone,

I have my used BUD installed and hooked up to receiver(GI i350), but when I go to set the limits I get the no pulse error. So a buddy of mine came over today and tried the <> buttons on the remote while I was outside and the dish moves just a bit each way but stops. Should I try and move it some and see if its stuck? I was going to spray some WD-40 on it too. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Could be any of the following.
1. Bad connections going into the motor.
2. Rust around the actuator where it comes out of the larger tube.
3. Rust on the pivot points of the mount.

Spray it with some pb blaster and let it sit for an hour.

Could be any of the following.
1. Bad connections going into the motor.
2. Rust around the actuator where it comes out of the larger tube.
3. Rust on the pivot points of the mount.

Spray it with some pb blaster and let it sit for an hour.

I will thanks. I noticed there is rust on some spots.

If it's not too much trouble, remove the actuator from the dish and bring it inside to your receiver. Once there, it will be much easier to troubleshoot as there will be no load on the arm.
Depending on the age and make of your actuator, the internal components could be an old style optical, or newer style reed, sensor switch. There will also be two kill switches for the upper and lower limits.
The biggest problem rust will be on the threaded rod itself, that the (likely) acme nut rides on. Very often, the dish would have been used on a small portion of the arc and the rust on the threads will tend to build up on the portions above and below the heavily traveled sections.
It would be helpful if you can determine the make and model of your actuator arm, but once you have it inside it's much easier to isolate the problem.

Remove the motor/gearbox off of the screwjack. Does the motor run then? Manually try to turn the drive in the screwjack, Does it move it in and out? Once you find out what isn't moving, and repair. Manually retract the screwjack completely, then out a turn or two. Run the motor in the direction which would retract the screwjack until the limit switch stops it, then reassemble.

Thanks for the info guys. I sprayed the sucker with WD-40 and now its still stopping with the no pulse error, but if I keep pressing the button the dish moves a few inches each time. I had a really clear picture on one channel. The arm is a superjack xl hb. I will try more of your suggestions. Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts