Can see current sats; can I pickup the new sats?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sws1

Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Hi - New guy here.

I currently have a 3-LNB dish which picks up the 101, 110, and 119 sats just fine (full signal). I live in 07960 zip code.

I had the D* installer come last week to upgrade to 5-LNB and he said, "NO way. You can't see the new satellites". From what I read here, the new birds are at 99 and 103, which is really not that bid a difference.

Relative to the existing 3 sats, what is the altitude of the new sats? I have some tall trees in my back yard, but I'd think that I'd still be able to pick up the new ones. It's not like my current dish is that close to getting clipped by trees.

Was my installer just lazy?

BTW - My current dish in on a pole in the backyard with a 2 cable run of about 150 feet.

The installer did leave me with a new H20 (w/ B-band converter).

Thanks

I would call and have another installer give you a second opinion on this. It is a possibility that you may have to move your dish.

When I installed the earlier dish myself, I created a little tool for determining line of sight. I used a compass, and a piece of paper that I cut into a triangle with the exact angles I need for the 3 sats.

Do you know the angles and altitudes for the 2 new sats?

the 5 lnb dish will need 2 more lines if you ever hook up a 6x8 mult-sw at the house.

You should be ok all you need is 2 degrees to the east of 101 to see 99. Elevation will be the same you are looking at the same satellites they aren't going to move just because your using a bigger dish. Your potential problem is burying 2 more 150FT runs of cable, you will need all 4 cables if you want to add a multiswitch in the future.

When I installed the first dish, I was able to determine (somewhere) that the 101, 110, and 119 dishes were all different elevations in the sky. I remember that 101 is the highest with 119 the lowest. I used that information to make sure I had line of sight to all 3.

Assuming the 99 and 103 are at some absurd altitude compared to the 101, I should be ok, as it's only 2" more to the 99.

Is there a tool to determine the altitude for each satellite from my zip?

An inclinometer is a tool to pinpoint the elevation. Don’t know the exact #’s but the 99 is a little higher than the 101 and the 103 is a little lower than the 101…if that is vague enough.

The slimline is “aimed” at the 101 so the elevation and azimuth given on your receiver will get you to that one anyway.

I would say the installer just didnt want to get into burrying the line. ( Which I understand 150 feet is alot of line) Now if you were to burry it yourself or pay the installer then I dont see why it cant be done. If you have the tripple lnb going now with out any problems then the 5 lnb should pick up all the birds just fine. Also the pole will have to be changed to a 2 inc one. The 1 5/8 pole wont work for the new slimline dish.

If you are going through DirecTV to get the install done you might want to go to a local retailer. Subs like me are more willing to do what it takes to get the job done right as long as you are willing to give him some money for the extra efforts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts