Can somebody recommend a good outdoor diplexer?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I just got done replacing for the 3rd time a diplexer outside. I have my OTA antenna diplexed into the FTA feed. Whenever I have trouble with various horizontal transponders I know that's the part I have to replace... again. I'm guessing something is happening and it's having trouble passing the higher voltage to switch to H polarity. Either that or something is wrong with the way I have it all connected and it's burning them out. I have never had to replace the diplexer inside the house.

My setup looks like this:

OTA & FTA rcvr --- diplexer ----- inside (wall) outside ----- diplexer --- antenna & motor --- DiSEQc switch --- LNBFs

Unless you have a really cheap diplexer I've never seen, it sounds more like corrosion on the F-connector fittings where they mate or near the coax. It doesn't take much.

-sidha

You need one of these.....................

Attachments

• OMN.JPG
    OMN.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 207
Good suggestions. I had dead H transponders again today (Russia Today and AlJazeera on IA5) but everything else working. This time I disconnected the diplexer and reconnected it and they started working again.

I think a good weekend project will be to replace the three cable ends, tighten down everything real good and weatherproof it.

I have found that if you pick up some Dielectric grease from an auto parts store and put a DAB in each coax connection prior to assembly. Your connections will not corrode and it will be MUCH easier to remove in the future. They do make a Teflon dielectric grease too but it costs more and a little harder to find.

BryanSR

Last edited:
Good suggestions. I had dead H transponders again today (Russia Today and AlJazeera on IA5) but everything else working. This time I disconnected the diplexer and reconnected it and they started working again.

I think a good weekend project will be to replace the three cable ends, tighten down everything real good and weatherproof it.

I think you hit on the problem. RF travels on the outside of the conductor. Check your coax ends and look at the center conductor. If it's black colored, you probably have a problem. These should be cut back far enough to get nice clean copper and ends re-installed.

Electricity travels through the conductor so while it may seem everything is working okay, the RF may not be able to jump the corroded conductor. Removing it and reinstalling it may cause it to work again, BUT this problem will re-appear as the corrosion continues to worsen.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)