Can someone confirm that Dish On Demand is really this bad?

$7 isn't much compared to taking a family to the movie theater. Also, I would bet that on demand through a set top box is much easier to use for the majority of people out there. I'd be willing to bet hardly anyone other than power users and tech junkies even know what Vudu is.

I've never had direct but what % of those 10k movies are actually movies most people have heard of or would watch? A lot of the content out there for most providers is stuff I would never watch.

I don't use on demand, but I do like the way the subscription on demand (SVOD) is on the Hopper with the latest update (I only have a 722, not a Hopper). I like that it shows the on demand channel right next to the channel (aka a second History Channel at 120, this one says On Demand). Makes it easier to find stuff, but I suspect there isn't a lot there (?).

$7 isn't much compared to taking a family to the movie theater. Also, I would bet that on demand through a set top box is much easier to use for the majority of people out there. I'd be willing to bet hardly anyone other than power users and tech junkies even know what Vudu is.

Quite often that $7 VOD on Dish can be had at Redbox for $1.64 (including tax) for a Bluray... That a big difference to pay for the convenience of ordering and playing at home....

Quite often that $7 VOD on Dish can be had at Redbox for $1.64 (including tax) for a Bluray... That a big difference to pay for the convenience of ordering and playing at home....

A big difference? I can't even buy a regular sub at Quiznos for that difference in price. I know Redbox is cheap but for the ease of just pressing a button and the little amount I rent any movies the $7 doesn't bother me. Doesn't Dish get new releases like a month or so ahead of Redbox too?

The other thing, it's - 2 degrees outside right now and my car is ice cold. I'm home with my 2 year old and don't want to take him out but he really wants to watch smurfs 2. I know to each his own but the convenience of ordering on my Hopper and not having to go start my car, deal with the cold and icey roads highly outweighs the cost difference between red box and ipvod.

$7 isn't much compared to taking a family to the movie theater.

I've never had direct but what % of those 10k movies are actually movies most people have heard of or would watch? A lot of the content out there for most providers is stuff I would never watch.
Movies on "on demand" aren't comparable to movies in the theatre (unless you count the "dollar theatre").

As for the movies available, the same can be said about Dish's selection....

A big difference? I can't even buy a regular sub at Quiznos for that difference in price. I know Redbox is cheap but for the ease of just pressing a button and the little amount I rent any movies the $7 doesn't bother me. Doesn't Dish get new releases like a month or so ahead of Redbox too?

Convenience is great but if you have other streaming devices they are just as convenient but at a better price. When we aren't using blu-ray we rent from iTunes on an Apple TV. Their new release rentals are $4.99. The two dollar price difference isn't huge but it is enough that I have never rented a movie from Dish outside my free PPV coupons.

Movies on "on demand" aren't comparable to movies in the theatre (unless you count the "dollar theatre").

As for the movies available, the same can be said about Dish's selection....

You're right. I usually think movies at home are a better experience. Thanks to Blu-ray picture and lossless 5.1 sound I would rather watch most movies in the comfort of my home than deal with the prices and people at the movie theater. I go to the theater if friends want to or if there is a movie I can't wait months to see. Most of the time I'm happy to wait for the blu-ray though. For less than the price of one ticket the whole family can enjoy the movie.

You're right. I usually think movies at home are a better experience. Thanks to Blu-ray picture and lossless 5.1 sound I would rather watch most movies in the comfort of my home than deal with the prices and people at the movie theater. I go to the theater if friends want to or if there is a movie I can't wait months to see. Most of the time I'm happy to wait for the blu-ray though. For less than the price of one ticket the whole family can enjoy the movie.

Very much agree. Blu-ray with sound through my audio system on my calibrated 55" looks and sounds fantastic. There are a very few movies that do deserve being seen on the big movie screen, but most as good or better at home.

Exactly, unless you live in a fairly rural area, Redboxs are pretty easy to find. Also for $10 per month, you can get 4 - 6 BD's a month with a Netflix disc-by-mail account.

Last edited:

iTunes/Amazon Instant/Vudu are just as convenient and still cheaper. I download Amazon rentals to my Tivo and I get better pq than Dish. Pay-tv providers charge "captive market" prices, but as long as you have fairly decent internet, your not a captive to that provider.

iTunes/Amazon Instant/Vudu are just as convenient and still cheaper. I download Amazon rentals to my Tivo and I get better pq than Dish. Pay-tv providers charge "captive market" prices, but as long as you have fairly decent internet, your not a captive to that provider.

I use Amazon as well but it all depends on what I want to watch. If a new movie is on Dish and not on Amazon I'll spend the extra couple bucks to watch it. I'll drop $8 on a six pack of beer without even thinking about it so whats a few more dollars to watch a movie I want right on the spot.

Dish does have a nice selection of Adult "On Demand" titles in the Midnight Lounge section. Most are $5.99, which is much less expensive than DirecTV. Not speaking from experience or anything, though. :D ;)

Boom! You got me there. No redbox in my town though, but there is something similar that has movies for $1.
We moved to a smaller town with no video stores (not surprising), including local mom-n-pop ones. Knowing Blockbuster, there was probably one in this town at some point. We do have (2) Redbox kiosks though ! What's really odd is that they are less than 100 yards apart...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts