Can someone explain why I the need for two dishes.

naimbeg

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
We just had DishNetwork installed at our house...
3 receivers (one 722 and two 211's) going through a dpp44
The installer used two Dish Network 500 dishes with two LNB's pointing south west and one LNB pointing south east.
Myself being inquisitive, why is the one dish pointing south east?

Second, would I be able to get the same thing with a SuperDish (1000.2)
I would prefer the cleaner look of one dish on my house...
Did the installer use two dishes because it's cheaper than going with a Super Dish???

Thanks.

he probably used the second dish to point at the 61.5 dish, because maybe the 129 is not available, or weak in your area. A 1000.2 is not a superdish. The 1000.2 picks up the 110, 119, and 129.... but if you can't get a good 129 signal, 61.5 is a much better option. The only single dish option you would have would be a 1000.4 dish for the eastern arc. Good luck with that though, I install and I have still yet to see a 1000.4 in person.

I'm sure it has to do with look-angle and signal strength. From what I understand, eastern Wisconsin has pretty bad signal quality from 129°.

Not that you care, but 61.5° does offer a few standard def channels not available at 129° like Classic Arts Showcase and Pentagon Channel.

As mentioned by Jared, Superdish is not the same thing as a Dish 1000.2.
A brief explanation of the Dish names can be found on the EKB.
EKB: Dish Types

Good luck with that though, I install and I have still yet to see a 1000.4 in person.
There's one for sale... at Solidsignal .com... Just search for 1000.4

Looking at it, it looks like I would then lose satelites 110 & 119.

Looks like I will need to retain two dishes...

Also, I have seen allot of talk about people setting up dishes at their cottages/ camp grounds.
I take it that they take a reciever with them when they go camping and then bring it back... (Is that allowed?)

What would be involved with setting that up, mimicking the dual dish config like at the house? (Don't know if I want to do that)... What would I lose if I did not point to 61.5?

Thanks

The 1000.4 would get 61.5° (most HD), 72.7° (Some HD all the channels that are at 110° and 119°) and 77° (for later use wth Additional channels at 110/119° not part of the AT packages)

If you have Eastern Arc you do not need to see 110/119 unless you want Dish Latino. And that will likely change when E*8 makes it to 77°.

www.dishuser.org/dishlist.php

See ya
Tony

The 129 sat is subjected to rain fade in your area. The tech actually did you a favor by installing the 61.5 instead of the 129.

Also the tech that installed you was likely working out of a hotel room, as I will be in your area for the next three weeks aswell, and didnt have access to a super dish at the time.

Yes, technically you can take your receiver with you when you go on vacation. All you need is a dish at the other location. If you do not have a HD TV at the cottage you could get away with a standard 500 dish with a DPP Twin pointed at the 110 and 119 sats. This would provide you with all the standard definition programing you subscribe to. Keep that manual handy for installation.

Well, i was going to use the Westing house HDTV that I got cheap for getting DishNetwork at the cottage ( at least until I get a new plasma for the house and take the rear projection HDTV up north.)

Would getting the SuperDish (1000.4) and using that at the house so I can get a cleaner look then using the two Dish 500 at the cottage work.
I figure that all I would need to buy would be the 1000.4 and a Dpp-44.

The Dish 1000.4 would be pointed at the eastern arch satelites, but the two Dish 500's would retain their respective positions..

Would I have to do anything on the reciever when I go up north to point to the new satelites? What about when I return back to the house?
Will the reciever just locate the existing satelites that the dishes are pointed to?
Since I will be using the 722, will that mess with the DVR recorded shows switch between the satelites (I figured it would not but I better ask).

(Being able to watch recored shows in HD is kind of important to me when I am at the cottage)

Again 1000.4= not a Superdish. And yeah, as hyperguy said, you will have to run the check switch test every time you move it.
And if you do get a 1000.4, you won't need a DPP44 Switch. The 1000.4 has an integrated switch.

Again 1000.4= not a Superdish. And yeah, as hyperguy said, you will have to run the check switch test every time you move it.
And if you do get a 1000.4, you won't need a DPP44 Switch. The 1000.4 has an integrated switch.

What about using spilter so that I only need to run one wire to the 722.. Will the 1000.4 support that?

Additionally I was reading another thread regarding the eastern arch (only got to page 6) but will I need a new 3G smart card to get the eastern arch satelites?

What consitutes a Superdish so that I know the differnece.

Thanks.

Different satellite dish names explained here
EKB: Dish Types

SuperDish is a specific dish designed for reception of 105°/110°/119° or 110°/119°/121° simultaneously. This type of dish has been discontinued due to its complete and utter failure in the market place. Too hard to install, maintain and much bigger than most subscribers were willing to put up with.

See ya
Tony

Thanks Tony for the SuperDish explanation....

What about needing a 3G smart card to get the eastern arch satelites?

From what I understand, yes you will need a smart card to recieve SD programming off of the 72 sat.
You can use your rcvr to watch pre-recorded programing without a sat attached.

i install in southeast wi and had off yesterday and was trying to mess around with the 1000.4 in the shop, and couldnt get the 72 nearly good. was only pulling in ss of low 70's unmod and the 61.5 i was in the high 100's. any clue what the best settings is. i was sitting at skew at 74 and elevation at 36-37.

Tony, if you had just posted that link in, oh, say the third post of the thread, you could have saved everyone so much trouble. Don't be so stingy with the info next time.

Ops... Sorry I missed that Tony did post that in the third post...

Because of the whole Secure 3G card thing... Can I point the 1000.4 at 110 and 119 and continue to use the single pointing at 65.1... Then when I get the card, re-aim 1000.4 at the EA satellites?
Are the LNB's tuned for particular satellites... From what I am guessing, they are otherwise everyone would take their 1000.x and re-point at the EA.

Because of the whole Secure 3G card thing... Can I point the 1000.4 at 110 and 119 and continue to use the single pointing at 65.1... Then when I get the card, re-aim 1000.4 at the EA satellites?
Are the LNB's tuned for particular satellites... From what I am guessing, they are otherwise everyone would take their 1000.x and re-point at the EA.

I don't think the LNB spacing on the 1000.4 is correct for 110/119. That is the only limitation. The LNBs aren't tuned to a particular sat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)