Can someone more logical than me explain this to me. Velocity Channel

johnner1999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
earth
On why the the Velocity Channel is only available in the Blockbuster @ Home "package"?

I've had the same blurry disc on my counter for the past 4 months…

oh well - ok carry on :)

Blockbuster, formerly HD Platinum is basically HD channels that don't have and SD equivalent and therefore not included in HD for life. It's morphed a bit since, but that's how Velocity got there.

Probably the contract between Dish and Velocity. If you can reach someone in on the deal, they may or may not tell you.

I realize that part of it - was Discovery HD Theatre not available in the top 200/250 pack and only in the blockbuster bundle? Just seems odd to pack a non movie like offering in BBH. the Epic channels make perfect sense as it ties in.

thanks and I know it is what it is.

I realize that part of it - was Discovery HD Theatre not available in the top 200/250 pack and only in the blockbuster bundle? Just seems odd to pack a non movie like offering in BBH. the Epic channels make perfect sense as it ties in.

You're forgetting that prior to BB@Home, those channels were in what was called the Platinum package, with no "theme or association" adhered to.

I didn't have E* at that time… but after reading your post I do recall that package… at least the name and channels included were more of a better grouping IMHO.

just another issue I have with E*.

thanks for the info everyone.

Why is DIY only in the Top250. Why is any channel in any package? Because of how the contract was constructed, and the best way Dish feels it can make money. Why in the world is Velocity in the BB package "yet another issue?"

I didn't have E* at that time… but after reading your post I do recall that package… at least the name and channels included were more of a better grouping IMHO.

just another issue I have with E*.

thanks for the info everyone.

Now, you're just nit-picking. All they did was take an existing package, sweetened the pot by adding BB disc service and gave it a new name.

on the western arc it was and may still be available as a "Test" channel..i forget the channels number tho

johnner1999 said:

I believe that when Velocity was HD Theater that it was in America's Top 120 with HD and above. However, I also believe this is when HD was $10/month before HD Free for Life and that Velocity (then HD Theater) and Palladia were added to what is now BB@Home. I believe the DIRT said on here that Palladia was back in AT120 with HD120 and above, but I cannot confirm that. As mentioned above, the only other ways to get Velocity through Dish are Dish America and above or channel 5710 (without EPG data except TEST...probably has schedule only...which may be a minor inconvenience) if you are on the arc that gets it.

Last edited:
I believe that when Velocity was HD Theater that it was in America's Top 120 with HD and above. However, I also believe this is when HD was $10/month before HD Free for Life and that Velocity (then HD Theater) and Palladia were added to what is now BB@Home. I believe the DIRT said on here that Palladia was back in AT120 with HD120 and above, but I cannot confirm that. As mentioned above, the only other ways to get Velocity through Dish are Dish America and above or channel 5710 (without EPG data except TEST...probably has schedule only...which may be a minor inconvenience) if you are on the arc that gets it.

I can confirm that,Palladia is in my ATHD120.:)

Now, you're just nit-picking. All they did was take an existing package, sweetened the pot by adding BB disc service and gave it a new name.
Logic and facts are kryptonite to a good rant.

I know what everyone is saying, but I agree with the OP. It makes little sense. In fact, why have the disc/BB@Home package tied to any channels at all? Why not have the channel packages be channel packages and have the disc-at-home and streaming service that is BB@Home be its own add-on service? That is what really makes little sense to me. I understand how it evolved into what it is, but it still doesn't make sense to new customer--or even to long-time customers in my case. I wish they'd break it out. I want the channels, but I too have had a disc collecting dust for several months. I feel like I'm being forced to pay for something I don't want just to get the channels I *do* want even though it was added to that Platinum package as a "free" add-on.

I know what everyone is saying, but I agree with the OP. It makes little sense. In fact, why have the disc/BB@Home package tied to any channels at all? Why not have the channel packages be channel packages and have the disc-at-home and streaming service that is BB@Home be its own add-on service? That is what really makes little sense to me. I understand how it evolved into what it is, but it still doesn't make sense to new customer--or even to long-time customers in my case. I wish they'd break it out. I want the channels, but I too have had a disc collecting dust for several months. I feel like I'm being forced to pay for something I don't want just to get the channels I *do* want even though it was added to that Platinum package as a "free" add-on.

I fail to see the issue. You could just leave your Blockbuster Queue empty and you won't get any discs by mail but still have the channels. All for the same price of $10/month. The channels are what cost $10 they just added the disc free and renamed Platinum to BB@Home. The reason the disc plan is tied to the channels is because of streaming. DISH really doesn't want the Disc at Home and when they bought Blockbuster they just imagined throwing the Blockbuster name on streaming and the disc at home/in store exchange would be second priority. When Dish bought Blockbuster they bought it to compete with NetFlix in the streaming battleground but the way they handled it was poor and NetFlix won.

I wish they'd break it out. I want the channels, but I too have had a disc collecting dust for several months. I feel like I'm being forced to pay for something I don't want just to get the channels I *do* want even though it was added to that Platinum package as a "free" add-on.

So YOU'RE the culprit who has my BB disk in a long wait state. ;)

On breaking it out again, don't give Dish any ideas. Come February, they may do just that, with a concomitant increase in cost. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts