Can someone summarize whats going on?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

John W

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Planet Earth
I am away on vacation and finally got online but the threads are so many pages filled with a lot of bitchin so I am having trouble finding what is going on regarding HD and MPEG4. Here is my setup, let me know what options E*is proposing:

1 leased 942 and one HDTV
The Wife wants to add anothe HDTV to our bedroom
2 522's
1 508

Just looking for when and how much an upgrade to MPEG4 will cost and how I should go about getting it (don't really care about the cost, just want to know what I am looking at.

I appreciate any info on this, sorry but I have limited time to search and sift through garbage posts and rants

Well if you can get through all the whining and crying your best bet is to read up on the charlie chat recap that scot has. Basicly you can trade in your 942 for a 622 complete with install and required dish to get the additional voom channels for $299 and a $200 rebate. Wait until feb 1 to call and get set up with this plan, its going to take some time to get all the csr's and sales partners up to speed and there will probably be a few changes here and there.

apples to apples

does anyone know how directv's picture quality is vs. dish? HD? locals?
I'm asking because it is becoming increasingly frustrating to be a dish network customer. we shouldn't have to do this much work, and not even get paid for it.
really. what a poorly run operation.

cbstv said:
does anyone know how directv's picture quality is vs. dish? HD? locals?
I'm asking because it is becoming increasingly frustrating to be a dish network customer. we shouldn't have to do this much work, and not even get paid for it.
really. what a poorly run operation.

Toooo funny !!!!!!!!:)

I mean, if we have to upgrade all receivers anyway, why not start from scratch and give Murdoch the money? From what I understand, this stuff just doesn't happen on the other side. And, if I am just 'Joe Customer', I wouldn't even know what's going on if I didn't read/belong to this site.

Last edited:
Van said:
Well if you can get through all the whining and crying your best bet is to read up on the charlie chat recap that scot has. Basicly you can trade in your 942 for a 622 complete with install and required dish to get the additional voom channels for $299 and a $200 rebate. Wait until feb 1 to call and get set up with this plan, its going to take some time to get all the csr's and sales partners up to speed and there will probably be a few changes here and there.

Another option, since you want a 2nd HD receiver, is to upgrade one of your 5xx's to a 622. I believe the price of this sort of upgrade is $299, but it will get you HD in 2 locations--current rumor is that only one HD upgrade per household the first year.

The downside is that the 942 will not receive any of the NEW HD channels (new Vooms, ESPN2-HD, UniversalHD, FoodTV-HD, HGTV-HD, locals if available). The upside is that it's not likely that compelling to begin with. You won't lose anything you receive today on your 942.

-sc

Van said:
As I understand it, you only get the rebate if you wait until April 1 to do the upgrade. Those that can't wait until then won't get the $200 rebate. All though they didn't say it officially, I believe it's Dish's way of limiting demand until production can ramp up to keep up with it.