Can someone try this?

wied

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Wylie, Texas, United States
Just had an idea but have not received my 622 yet. What happens if you connect a 622 to a 522/625/942/921 wonder if it will let you transfer recordings between the two units. Can someone try this?

I'd be afraid to try it..

USB ports provide power and data - usually. If these are powered ports, they could mess each other up - I don't think you're supposed to connect two USB ports together, it can really mess things up.

I know there's a way to connect two PCs together using USB, but it's not with a regular cable.. it's with a USB device that looks like a USB cable (may have a little hump between the ends of the cable).

I don't even know if you could buy or adapt regular USB cables so that both ends plug into a PC-style USB port.

You're on the right track. Everything you said is a factor, but in addition, there's a huge software difference between USB "Host" and USB "Device".

Can Dish's "PocketDish" be used to transfer video from say a 942 to a 622? And if so, would there be a PQ hit?

If this option is feasable, I would think it would be a good service for dealers to offer customers as it stands to reason anyone with a big hard drive DVR would not want to loose their archive. There could be a market for Pocketdish rental.

Hmm, the PocketDish may be able to pull it off, can it send as well as receive video?

A few folks have posted already that they've connected a USB storage fevice to their 622's with success, but some of the menu items that appear when this is done are crippled. For example, you can move a photo from a USB storage device to a 622, but moving anything from the 622 to the storage device results in a "this function is not currently supported"-type message... so it looks like it's in the works, but not yet working ;)

I'd like to see the USB port be capable of storing Dish content AND expanding the recording time, especially since the 622's HD recording capability is rather limited (due to all the space allocated for DOD), and since you can get 200GB+ USB HDDs for less than $100 if you shop around.. It would be nice to have 60+ hours available for HD recording, or 200 hours for SD!

waltinvt said:
Can Dish's "PocketDish" be used to transfer video from say a 942 to a 622? And if so, would there be a PQ hit?

If this option is feasable, I would think it would be a good service for dealers to offer customers as it stands to reason anyone with a big hard drive DVR would not want to loose their archive. There could be a market for Pocketdish rental.
No. Dish encrypts anything it writes to the PocketDish. Therefore, you cant plug that into another receiver and upload it.

Yep. DRM. It's been posted several times- you can dump to a PocketDish, and reload from the PocketDish, but only on the original DVR that dumped the programming in the first place. Same for the "archival" offboard USB hard drives.

navychop said:
Yep. DRM. It's been posted several times- you can dump to a PocketDish, and reload from the PocketDish, but only on the original DVR that dumped the programming in the first place. Same for the "archival" offboard USB hard drives.
I think Dish missed out on a good marketing point for the PocketDish by having it only upload back to the same unit it received the download from. That severly limits it's usefulness.

Since the bigger HDDs came out, probably 90% of any DVR owner planning to upgrade would have many hours archived on their current unit that they'd want to transfer to the new unit. The thought of having to loose it all is certainly a big negative that could easily be avoided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts