Can someone who has the German channels check this for me?

miguelaqui

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
I am thinking about getting the German package, but, first, I would like to know if the closed captioning works on those channels. I'm not looking for English subtitles, but rather the German with the closed captioning in German.

Also, does anyone know if they are going to put those channels on 61.5?

Thanks!!

Hi! i'm definately into the German Channels. We get the German Package. It's all i watch. no subtitles are offered -that's in English or German. That'd be great. I'd love to see the words they're saying spelled out too.

I think all Int' channels are eventually going to be on the 61.5. Currently, only 7 Arabic channels have moved, or are moving in the near future.

Last edited:
well i called Dish network tech support to double-check. i got a brief lesson on CC (i was also checking everything on the tv as it was being explained). some programming on Dish network offer Closed Captioning and others don't. you just have to go to the program Guide and hit the "info" button for that program. if there's a "(CC)" label in the description part of the info screen, then you can turn on the Closed Captioning Feature on your tv and you'll get Closed Captioning. if the programming does not have that "(CC)" label, you will not be able to enable Closed Captioning for that programming.

I checked the Info Screen of several different programs on the German Channels. None that I checked showed the "(CC)" label.

Since the subject of German channels came up, I am contemplating signing up for the package in order to be able to watch the Tour de France this July, since OLN and DISH are still at odds, with no resolution in sight. But I need to confirm that either ProSieben or Deutsch Welle carry the live broadcast.

Any help appreciated.

Danke!

i'm doubtful. the only thing i've seen is Bundes Liga Soccer on ProSieben. and for sure they'll show the WM-FM 2006, aka: world soccer championship. ofcourse you'll get great highlights (of the tour de france) on DW-TV news. and N24 and other news shows (exclusive for ProSieben) will definately report on it too, i'm sure. but if you mean more than news coverage, i don't think, but i've only had ch. 726 since November and ch. 725 since December (for about a week i saw 'German TV' before it officially changed to DW-TV on Jan. 1, 2006).

i'd say get the German Language Package in any case.

Aufwiedersehen mein kleinen freund

moving 725 and 726 to a DBS satellite

not this past weekend but the weekend before i called Dish Customer Service and asked them about that. the CSR said he had no information about that.

Believe-you-me, it'll be a GREAT Day when the German Channels go to the good ol' 61.5. this house already had a 61.5 dish (for SkyAngel) when the superdish was installed. I don't hate the superdish but to think of a lil' ol' round 18" Dish getting int'l programming from Germany!
<<<wipes tear from eye>>>

MikeCTM2 said:
Hi! i'm definately into the German Channels. We get the German Package. It's all i watch. no subtitles are offered -that's in English or German. That'd be great. I'd love to see the words they're saying spelled out too.

I think all Int' channels are eventually going to be on the 61.5. Currently, only 7 Arabic channels have moved, or are moving in the near future.

For German, Italian, Russian, Ukranian, Polish channels better look at www.overseatv.com.
I am one of the testers and I am very impressed with PQ so far.;)

Cycling fan also - I want OLN back on Dish

I'm really suffering without OLN also and have my fingers crossed that OLN/Comcast and dish come to a resolution soon so I can watch cycling on OLN/151 again. I hate missing Paris-nice and san-remo this weekend.

The overseatv.com concept looks interesting. They carry DSF and it looks like DSF is planning on providing Tour de Romandie 2006 coverage from April 25th - 30th

Minsk1 said:
For German, Italian, Russian, Ukranian, Polish channels better look at www.overseatv.com.
I am one of the testers and I am very impressed with PQ so far.;)

Does it leave some bandwidth for internet browsing as well? Any freezing, pixeselization of picture? What kind of sound: stereo, Dolby, etc.?

Last edited:
Hey, Minsk1,

Did Lukashenko's victory scared you to death?
Can you answer my questions, please?

Last edited:
JoeDoe. It must not be that good if he's not replying. I don't think a broadband internet connection has quite got to where digital satellite television has. Your only option for top quality German TV in the US is a SuperDish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)